Apache + Rails Problem (ugh), works on WebRICK

Abraham Vionas

11/30/2004 6:45:00 AM

Like the subject indicates I finally got the Todo tutorial to work perfectly
using WebRICK. However, I'm mystified as to why I'm having the problems I am
with Apache 2.0.52. Granted, I'm not using Fast CGI or mod_ruby, since I'm
on windows machine, but even still I get the impression that things should
still work. I suspect a mod_rewrite problem. Basically, on Apache I can get
to the "Welcome to Rails" screen just fine, but then without changing my
httpd.conf file I can't pull up the Todo screen (i.e.
http://localhost/Todo/). In order for the Todo screen to show up I have to
go into my httpd.conf file for Apache and change my document root settings,
as well as Virtual Server document root settings (from the settings that
worked to get me to localhost - i.e. C:/cs/www/rails/public).

*However*, even I I change those settings to pull up the Todo page then the
page doesn't do anything. I.e. it's completely static. I can click on the
links (show, edit, destroy, new todo) but nothing happens.

Just so we're clear, WebRICK works perfectly (as expected and indicated in
the tutorial) but Apache does not. Does anyone recognize these symptoms and
have any advice for me?

Regards, Abe

3 Answers

Sarah Tanembaum

Abraham Vionas wrote:
> Like the subject indicates I finally got the Todo tutorial to work perfectly
> using WebRICK. However, I'm mystified as to why I'm having the problems I am
> with Apache 2.0.52. Granted, I'm not using Fast CGI or mod_ruby, since I'm
> on windows machine, but even still I get the impression that things should
> still work. I suspect a mod_rewrite problem. Basically, on Apache I can get
> to the "Welcome to Rails" screen just fine, but then without changing my
> httpd.conf file I can't pull up the Todo screen (i.e.
> http://localhost/Todo/). In order for the Todo screen to show up I have to
> go into my httpd.conf file for Apache and change my document root settings,
> as well as Virtual Server document root settings (from the settings that
> worked to get me to localhost - i.e. C:/cs/www/rails/public).
>

> *However*, even I I change those settings to pull up the Todo page then the
> page doesn't do anything. I.e. it's completely static. I can click on the
> links (show, edit, destroy, new todo) but nothing happens.
>

> Just so we're clear, WebRICK works perfectly (as expected and indicated in
> the tutorial) but Apache does not. Does anyone recognize these symptoms and
> have any advice for me?
>

> Regards, Abe

I've got the same result as well but quite useless under Windows/Apache.
I don't think that it will be easy to get it to work on windows, if ever
since, IMO, it needs fcgi and/or mod_ruby to work under windows.

John Henry

john w <j wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:00:06 +0000 (UTC), walksalone
> <spamstopper@nerdshack.com> wrote:
>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=BS5vid4GkEY&amp;featu...
>

> Anything YOU would ENDORSE isn't worth bothering with!

"Oh, the irony!"

walksalone

john w <j<no>@yahoo.com> news:acfi54tu8k2dq405f8d1tkaqr4j1o9gupv@4ax.com

From: john w <j<no>@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: alt.religion.christian.baptist
Subject: Re: Not for everyone, but creationism looked at
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:53:55 -0700

`jw attn ho slut`

Do you recall I stated I tire of playing with your excuse of a mind?

Due to your inability to pay attention, or remember, the three ways you
were given to avoid seeing
our names in the same message.

Attention ho <TWHACK> <reholsters rubber chicken>
Oh, lest I forget, TwHACK

Ain't cut & paste time saving though, & as well as being more than your
posts are worth. And it means I don't have to waste the time thinking up
something novel to flatter your delicate ego.