Adel

7/15/2002 4:03:00 PM

Hello all,

Could i build mobile application with full functionality
using ASP.NET or need some other tools?.

Thanks in advance

4 Answers

Mark Fitzpatrick

You would build a web-based mobile system using ASP.Net and the Microsoft
Mobile Internet Tools (MMIT). The MMIT is a set of controls that are
tailored for mobile devices. If you want to build purely mobile applications
then you're better off looking at something like the Smarter Device
Extensions (SDE) which are currently in beta for Visual Studio.Net.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Adel" <Aneiba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Could i build mobile application with full functionality
> using ASP.NET or need some other tools?.
>
> Thanks in advance

Craig Deelsnyder

You can use ASP.NET, with a few tweaks. And you wouldn't need MMIT.

You need to override the two methods that save view state in each page
(Page.SavePageStateToPersistenceMedium and LoadViewState...)

Other than that, you need to build the screens the appropriate size, etc.
So it is possible for basic apps. But if you are doing some really
mobile-specific stuff (soft-keys, WML, no cookie support, etc.), you'll want
to use MMIT or SmartDevice.....

If you do use MMIT, you can still use standard ASP.NET controls, also, when
needed (with certain limitations, of course).

"Adel" <Aneiba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Could i build mobile application with full functionality
> using ASP.NET or need some other tools?.
>
> Thanks in advance

(Rolf Tollerud)

"Craig Deelsnyder" <cdeelsny@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<e$tqYpCLCHA.2548@tkmsftngp08>...
> You can use ASP.NET, with a few tweaks. And you wouldn't need MMIT.

Could you possible send me a simple example? Without using MMIT?

Like this sample for asp:

<%
Response.ContentType = "text/vnd.wap.wml"
%>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE wml PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml...

<wml>
<card id="card1" title="Mics" newcontext="true">
Contactsr<br/>
Name: <input name="inamn" title="Kontakt:"/>

<small>
<anchor title="Search">Search
<go href="Micslink3.asp" method="get">
<postfield name="namn" value='$(inamn)'/>
</go>
</anchor>
</small>
</card>
</wml>

How to do it in ASP.NET?

Thanks in advance
Rolf Tollerud

Craig Deelsnyder

I haven't dealt with WML, all my work is in HTML output. So for HTML, I can
tell you that you need to override two Page methods:

Protected Overrides Sub SavePageStateToPersistenceMedium(ByVal viewState As
Object)
Session("MyViewState") = viewState
End Sub

Protected Overrides Function LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium() As Object
Return Session("MyViewState")
End Function

as PocketIE cannot handle the hidden viewstate field.

I include that only for reference in that some weird twist of fate, you need
it later on; if it confuses you, forget about it, cuz you pry won't need it.

You might be able to use that page already as an ASP.NET page (with some
directives added). Response.ContentType still works, for example. Whether
you can or can't depends on your device and the WML output of the example
page and how it would display there. Try it out....

For WML, you can use the MMIT, which if you do, check out the DeviceSpecific
feature in the documentation, help, etc. It basically lets you define
different output for different