Itri

7/12/2002 6:24:00 AM

I'm using .net to access oracle 9i server database (in the
same machine). The tables contain user defined objects.
1-Does the ODBC .NET Data Provider support user defined
datatypes? how data is returned? does it support SQL3?
2-If it is not supported, is there any solution (like
writing a store proc and accessing it from .net)
3-I tried the .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle
Client beta 1 without success(can't connect to database).
maybe because I am working on the oracle server. Is it the
reason why it's not working? Is there any Data Provider
for Oracle server?

is there any other place where I can get more information?

Thanks a lot.

CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE address_type AS OBJECT
(num INTEGER
street varchar2(50),
city varchar2(30),
state char(2),
zipcode number(6));

CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE person_type AS OBJECT
(pers_id INTEGER
name VARCHAR2(20),
addr address_type );

CREATE TABLE person OF person_type (pers_id PRIMARY KEY);

1 Answer

Bob Beauchemin

There are at least three data providers for Oracle:
1. DataDirect provider for Oracle - released June
2. Microsoft provider for Oracle - released June
3. Oracle Corp provider for Oracle - beta 1 released in June

No ODBC, OLE DB, or .NET data provider for Oracle that I know of supports
Oracle user-defined object datatypes yet or SQL3. You can write a stored
proc and access it from .NET but you can't access the UDTs in code. The only
solution for Oracle UDTs is to use OO4O (in .NET, through COM interop) or
JDBC (but I don't think the version in J# supports this).

Hope this helps,
Bob Beauchemin
bobb@develop.com