Niels Meyer

7/12/2002 6:10:00 AM

We're a small company that have a product catalogue (at present only
partially online and only as static html files) consisting of 7000 items in
10 different categories. The catalogue is updated on average once a month.
We have an average of 600 daily visitors with a peak of 1100-1200 just after
the new catalogue has been published (downloading 200-300 mb of static files
and images on average/day)

We're considering datastorage (readonly) in msAccess or msSQL on the .NET
platform (a dedicated server with 512 mb ram).While msSQL is definitely more
performant it also runs up to $260 extra/month for the license... If we
choose to try out the msAccess solution - and in order to minimize the load
on the server - my questions are then:

*Duration* - How do we optimise this parameter of the OutputCache directive
(given the once-a-month db update and without filling up the memory)?

*Location* - Should we set the parameter, for example "Server" ?

*VaryBy[..........]* - What are the best permance tips here given the
conditions above?

A common user behaviour on the site (at present) is that users browse
through certain parts of the product catalogue in predefined segments of 20
items/page. If writing out a couple of hundred static pages I suppose we
could take some more heat off the db - yet many would still request data
based on the own queries...

Thanks a lot for any advice/
Niels