microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Permissions required for Document Explorer or ms-help://

Mark Hurd

7/11/2002 4:49:00 AM

I have installed the SDK on a laptop (as an administrator of the laptop) and
later became a normal (domain) user (not even a power user).

I have now found that the Document Explorer cannot open the help collection
(DE opens and works as an IE "clone" but cannot access any ms-help: URLs). I
tried adding myself to Power Users and Administrators with only the latter
working.

I don't remember having to tweak a similar installation on Win2000, where I'm
definitely not an Administrator. The differences I can see is that the laptop
is running NT4.0 SP6 and the laptop did not have MSDN or any development
environment installed before.

My guess is the ms-help:// stuff in the registry has an acl that is different.
A far as I have checked all the required files (such as in \All Users\App
Data\MS Help -paraphrased!) are readable as a normal user.

Is there any documentation regarding minimum rights for the SDK?

Also, to continue debugging this myself, is there a way to "Run As"
Administrator on NT4 (so that I can run RegMon and FileMon to look for
failures), or do I have to finally work out how to successfully turn on
file/registry access logging using the security auditing stuff?

Regards,
Mark Hurd, B.Sc.(Ma.) (Hons.)

1 Answer

(leo lin[MS])

I can't reproduce the same problem, in fact, ms-help:// will use
Asynchronous Pluggable Protocols to read the help files.

About Asynchronous Pluggable Protocols
----
Asynchronous pluggable protocols enable developers to create pluggable
protocol handlers, MIME filters, and namespace handlers that work with
Microsoft? Internet Explorer 4.0 and later and a URL moniker.

You can read :
ms-help://MS.MSDNQTR.2002APR.1033/WinInet/workshop/networking/pluggable/over
view/aplugprot_overviews_entry.htm

By the way, it is setup and installation question, you can post this issue
to properly group, so
the related expert will help you.

Best Regards

leolin