James Beidleman

7/9/2002 4:58:00 PM

Does any one know why the namespace to the ODBC .NET
provider is Microsoft.Data.Odbc and not System.Data.Odbc?

Thanks
Jamie
2 Answers

Chris Larson

I've got a pretty good idea. The original intent of Microsoft was to drop
ODBC support in .NET and migrate everyone to OleDb. Didn't work -- for
obvious reasons. So they grafted on support in the form you see.

Chris

"James Beidleman" <jamie@beidleman.com> wrote in message
> Does any one know why the namespace to the ODBC .NET
> provider is Microsoft.Data.Odbc and not System.Data.Odbc?
>

> Thanks
> Jamie

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))

Chris,

This is not true. The support for the ODBC data Sources was there in Beta1 timeframe when the namespace for the generic .NET Data provider was System.Data.ADO.
When the namespace has been changed to System.Data.OleDb in Beta2, there was a need to create seperate namespace for ODBC to support some native ODBC
functionality and the namespace was given as "Microsoft.System.Odbc" because the development cycle for that provider was late and it wasn't possible to ship it inside
VS.NET box. For the Next release of VS.NET, it is going to be included in the box and renamed to "System.Data.Odbc". This will not break or affect already deployed
applications because you will have 2 different dlls and your application may still use the old dll or you may change it to the new one.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Hussein Abuthuraya
Microsoft Developer Support

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.co....