Rublog question

Zach Dennis

11/28/2004 6:35:00 PM

I have downloaded and am playing w/Rublog. If I wanted more then one
person to have their own blog, would I have to modify rublog.cgi or
create separate rublog.cgi files for each person?

Just thinking outloud here.

Thanks,

Zach

16 Answers

Dave Thomas

On Nov 28, 2004, at 12:34, Zach Dennis wrote:

> I have downloaded and am playing w/Rublog. If I wanted more then one
> person to have their own blog, would I have to modify rublog.cgi or
> create separate rublog.cgi files for each person?

Create a separate rublog.cgi for each (for example there are a number
of rublog blogs I host here: each is a separate .cgi (for example
cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi). They define their own data directories, but all
link to the same rublog source.

Cheers

Dave

Zach Dennis

Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2004, at 12:34, Zach Dennis wrote:
>
>> I have downloaded and am playing w/Rublog. If I wanted more then one
>> person to have their own blog, would I have to modify rublog.cgi or
>> create separate rublog.cgi files for each person?
>

> Create a separate rublog.cgi for each (for example there are a number of
> rublog blogs I host here: each is a separate .cgi (for example
> cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi). They define their own data directories, but all
> link to the same rublog source.

Thanks for responding Dave, and I've got another question about Rublog.
In the Full Intsallation rdoc file you mention that Rublog can read CVS
directories. All of my cvs files end with a ,v extension, and Rublog
doesn't seem to see them. It only appears to read .txt for Plain Text,
and I don't see a CVS convertor.

Is there a special flag I need to set so Rublog reads them? Thanks,

Zach

Zach Dennis

Zach Dennis wrote:
> Dave Thomas wrote:
>

>> On Nov 28, 2004, at 12:34, Zach Dennis wrote:
>>
>>> I have downloaded and am playing w/Rublog. If I wanted more then one
>>> person to have their own blog, would I have to modify rublog.cgi or
>>> create separate rublog.cgi files for each person?
>>

>> Create a separate rublog.cgi for each (for example there are a number
>> of rublog blogs I host here: each is a separate .cgi (for example
>> cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi). They define their own data directories, but all
>> link to the same rublog source.
>

> Thanks for responding Dave, and I've got another question about Rublog.
> In the Full Intsallation rdoc file you mention that Rublog can read CVS
> directories. All of my cvs files end with a ,v extension, and Rublog
> doesn't seem to see them. It only appears to read .txt for Plain Text,
> and I don't see a CVS convertor.
>
> Is there a special flag I need to set so Rublog reads them? Thanks,

Ok I see now that it appears Rublog is setup to read from a CVSTree on
the client end and not on the server end. Would providing blog access to
a CVSTree be worth making a convertor for?

I am trying to think of ways to make blogging easy for my development
team at work. My cvs server and my web server are two separate machines
so I don't really want to have to manually do a cvs checkout every time
a new blog is posted, every time rublog.cgi is called or even run a
crontab job every few minutes.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks,

Zach

Zach Dennis

> I am trying to think of ways to make blogging easy for my development
> team at work. My cvs server and my web server are two separate machines
> so I don't really want to have to manually do a cvs checkout every time
> a new blog is posted, every time rublog.cgi is called or even run a
> crontab job every few minutes.

I'd like to just use an SMB share.

Zach

Dave Thomas

On Nov 28, 2004, at 15:11, Zach Dennis wrote:

> Thanks for responding Dave, and I've got another question about
> Rublog. In the Full Intsallation rdoc file you mention that Rublog can
> read CVS directories. All of my cvs files end with a ,v extension, and
> Rublog doesn't seem to see them. It only appears to read .txt for
> Plain Text, and I don't see a CVS convertor.
>
> Is there a special flag I need to set so Rublog reads them? Thanks,

You should be able to point your datadir at a part of a CVS repository
and it'll find the files in there. Any files ending with ,v will have
the suffix removed, the content will be extracted, and then used as
normal.

That's how I do all my blogs: I point rublog at the repository, then
check in entries from where ever I happen to be.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Thomas

On Nov 28, 2004, at 15:52, Zach Dennis wrote:
> Ok I see now that it appears Rublog is setup to read from a CVSTree on
> the client end and not on the server end. Would providing blog access
> to a CVSTree be worth making a convertor for?

Rublog reads the CVS repository on the server: on the client the files
just look like regular files.

Cheers

Dave

Zach Dennis

Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2004, at 15:11, Zach Dennis wrote:
>
>> Thanks for responding Dave, and I've got another question about
>> Rublog. In the Full Intsallation rdoc file you mention that Rublog can
>> read CVS directories. All of my cvs files end with a ,v extension, and
>> Rublog doesn't seem to see them. It only appears to read .txt for
>> Plain Text, and I don't see a CVS convertor.
>>
>> Is there a special flag I need to set so Rublog reads them? Thanks,
>

> You should be able to point your datadir at a part of a CVS repository
> and it'll find the files in there. Any files ending with ,v will have
> the suffix removed, the content will be extracted, and then used as
> normal.
>
> That's how I do all my blogs: I point rublog at the repository, then
> check in entries from where ever I happen to be.

If I have 1 file in my cvs root rublog doesn't publish it and I get a
blank page.

If I have >1 file in my cvs root then rublog works.

Zach

Dave Thomas

On Nov 28, 2004, at 17:14, Zach Dennis wrote:
> If I have 1 file in my cvs root rublog doesn't publish it and I get a
> blank page.

What's the name of the file?

Cheers

Dave

Zach Dennis

> If I have 1 file in my cvs root rublog doesn't publish it and I get a
> blank page.
>
> If I have >1 file in my cvs root then rublog works.

I just moved my blog root to a subdirectory of it's former directory,
and now when i have 0 blogs Rublog shows up (before it just gave me a
blank page). And now when I have 1 file it works fine. It sounds like
something quirky on my end. Sorry for the noise,

Zach

Zach Dennis

Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2004, at 17:14, Zach Dennis wrote:
>
>> If I have 1 file in my cvs root rublog doesn't publish it and I get a
>> blank page.
>

> What's the name of the file?

firstblog.txt

firstblog.txt,v on the server