Re: Ruby GUIs and installation effort

Lothar Scholz

11/25/2004 5:08:00 AM

Hello Glenn,

GP> R. Mark Volkmann wrote:
>>
>> One answer is to create web apps instead. That's not appropriate for every
>> application though.
>>
>> Do others think this is an issue?

GP> One word: wxRuby.

GP> Nice looking apps that move gracefully between platforms. I've worked
GP> with wxPython and it's very nice.

Yes but you still hit the borders of wxWidgets very soon on a little
bit more complex applications. Julian Smart realized that and they now
try to offer most of the widgets in a generic form: this means don't
use the native widgets anymore they only use the native Theming engine.

I also believe that this is the right way to get something running on
all three systems.

The main problem with GUI Toolkits is at the moment that none was
developed with MacOSX in mind they all tried a port later, to late to
get the different Mac things right. Any GUI that offers Drawers, proxy
items in the title, Sheets .... ?

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...