irb and german keyboard problem

Lothar Scholz

11/25/2004 12:13:00 AM

Hello ruby-talk,

can someone tell me what i must do that irb accepts german Alt-Gr
keys on WinXP. I can't type [] {}

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

nobu.nokada

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb?key=altgr&cginame=namazu.rb&submit=Search&dbname=ruby-talk&max=1&am...

--
Nobu Nakada

gabriele renzi

Lothar Scholz ha scritto:
> Hello ruby-talk,
>
> can someone tell me what i must do that irb accepts german Alt-Gr
> keys on WinXP. I can't type [] {}

it should work with this:
http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/dist/...

Anyway, I'm not sure if it does for german. For an italian keyboard some
stuf works, some don't.

Julius Plenz

> can someone tell me what i must do that irb accepts german Alt-Gr
> keys on WinXP. I can't type [] {}

I also have a question related to german keyboards_ Why does irb
terminate without any further message when I include some german
umlauts (öäüÖÄÜß) which are _not_ in quotes?

e/www/plenz,0% irb
>> "ä"
=> "\344"
[terminates]

Julius
--
Julius Plenz <jp@cvmx.de> http://www....

Henrik Horneber

Julius Plenz wrote:

>>can someone tell me what i must do that irb accepts german Alt-Gr
>>keys on WinXP. I can't type [] {}
>

> I also have a question related to german keyboards_ Why does irb
> terminate without any further message when I include some german
> umlauts (öäüÖÄÜß) which are _not_ in quotes?
>
> e/www/plenz,0% irb
>
>>>"ä"
>
> => "\344"

> [terminates]
>
> Julius

Same problem here on Win2K, even though I haven't noticed it before
(thanks Julius). Maybe one should just use english identifiers? (not an
extremely bad idea anyway IMHO). Just to clarify things, I have readline
more or less working except for the occasional segfault, and I can type
[] etc with Alt+Gr just fine. Irb does not terminate immediately after
entering an Umlaut, only after pressing return.

D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\empinator.HAMMING>irb
irb(main):001:0> a
NameError: undefined local variable or method `a' for main:Object
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0> "ä"
=> "\204"
irb(main):003:0> ä

D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\empinator.HAMMING>

best regards,
Henrik

gabriele renzi

Henrik Horneber ha scritto:
>> I also have a question related to german keyboards_ Why does irb
>> terminate without any further message when I include some german
>> umlauts (öäüÖÄÜß) which are _not_ in quotes?
> Same problem here on Win2K, even though I haven't noticed it before

same is valid with the italian's accented letters..
C:\Documents and Settings\gabriele>irb
irb(main):001:0> è
C:\Documents and Settings\gabriele>

There was some talk about this some time ago, maybe looking in the
archive will find answer (wich I can't remember :/ )

Adeodato Simó

* Julius Plenz [Thursday, November 25, 2004 22:59] {comp.lang.ruby}:

> I also have a question related to german keyboards_ Why does irb
> terminate without any further message when I include some german
> umlauts (öäüÖÄÜß) which are _not_ in quotes?

I couldn't reproduce (*), and then I realized I have RUBYOPT=-Ku.
unsetting RUBYOPT made irb behave as you describe.

(*) the output being:

NameError: undefined local variable or method `ä' for main:Object
from (irb):1

--
Adeodato Simó
EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one
instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every
program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work.