FreeRide experience? (especially on MacOS X

Jamie Orchard-Hays

11/24/2004 3:11:00 PM

I'm curious about users' experiences with FreeRide, especially on MacOS
X.

Thanks,
Jamie

4 Answers

Glenn Parker

Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
> I'm curious about users' experiences with FreeRide, especially on MacOS X.

I played with it for a couple of days (on WinXP). I'm afraid that, as a
neophyte Ruby coder, I found it frustrating. My utterly naive Ruby
syntax errors caused it to crash so frequently that I gave up on it and
went back to XEmacs. My feeling is it's not quite ready for prime-time.

Part of this may have resulted from deeper bugs in the Ruby interpreter,
or with irb, since I've experienced a few unforgiving crashes using
irb, as well. This was all using ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-06) [i386-mswin32].

A follow-on question:

Does the current source tree for Ruby include test cases with "bad"
code? The idea would be to ensure that Ruby gracefully handles
syntactic and semantic errors.

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...

Curt Hibbs

Glenn Parker wrote:

> Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
> > I'm curious about users' experiences with FreeRide, especially
> on MacOS X.
>
> I played with it for a couple of days (on WinXP). I'm afraid that, as a
> neophyte Ruby coder, I found it frustrating. My utterly naive Ruby
> syntax errors caused it to crash so frequently that I gave up on it and
> went back to XEmacs. My feeling is it's not quite ready for prime-time.
>
> Part of this may have resulted from deeper bugs in the Ruby interpreter,
> or with irb, since I've experienced a few unforgiving crashes using
> irb, as well. This was all using ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-06) [i386-mswin32].

If you don't mind, could you be more specific about what caused you
problems. I ask because I also run FreeRIDE on WinXP and have not had
frequent crashes that you report.

Whatever specific cases you have I would want to create bug reports and get
them fixed. This is especially important right now as we will be releasing
FreeRIDE 0.9.0 very soon and I would want any such problems to be fixed
before the release.

Also, what version of FreeRIDE were you running?

Curt

> A follow-on question:
>
> Does the current source tree for Ruby include test cases with "bad"
> code? The idea would be to ensure that Ruby gracefully handles
> syntactic and semantic errors.
>
> --
> Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...
>
> ---

Laurent Julliard

Glenn Parker wrote:
> Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
>
>> I'm curious about users' experiences with FreeRide, especially on
>> MacOS X.
>

> I played with it for a couple of days (on WinXP). I'm afraid that, as a
> neophyte Ruby coder, I found it frustrating. My utterly naive Ruby
> syntax errors caused it to crash so frequently that I gave up on it and
> went back to XEmacs. My feeling is it's not quite ready for prime-time.

There happen to be a bug in 0.8.0 that caused FR to crash each time
you ran a script with a syntax error in it. This has been fixed and
will be 0.9.0 pretty soon.

> Part of this may have resulted from deeper bugs in the Ruby interpreter,
> or with irb, since I've experienced a few unforgiving crashes using
> irb, as well. This was all using ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-06) [i386-mswin32].
>
> A follow-on question:
>
> Does the current source tree for Ruby include test cases with "bad"
> code? The idea would be to ensure that Ruby gracefully handles
> syntactic and semantic errors.

No I think the bug was really in FreeRIDE.

Laurent

Gavin Sinclair

On Thursday, November 25, 2004, 2:30:59 AM, Glenn wrote:

> Part of this may have resulted from deeper bugs in the Ruby interpreter,
> or with irb, since I've experienced a few unforgiving crashes using
> irb, as well. This was all using ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-06) [i386-mswin32].

irb "crashes" when code throws an exception that isn't caught. irb
catches some exceptions, not others. This is normal behaviour, not a
crash. It's still annoying, though.

Gavin