PostgreSQL (Postgres-pr) + Rails = Unexpected EOF error?

Abraham Vionas

11/23/2004 7:18:00 AM

I'm running XP, Ruby 1.8.2RC3, Rails 0.8.5, PostgreSQL 8BetaRC3, and
Postgres-pr (new Ruby library).

My problem is that I'm getting an "Unexpected EOF error on client
connection."

Does anyone perchance know what's causing this? It happens both on Webrick
and Apache.

Regards, Abe

P.s. I have not yet successfully completed a connection to the PostgreSQL DB
yet.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Neumann [mailto:mneumann@ntecs.de]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 5:49 PM
To: abe@bozemantechmedic.com
Cc: david@loudthinking.com
Subject: Re: Rails/ActiveRecord + Postgres-pr Question

Abraham Vionas wrote:
> Hi David and Michael;
>
> I'm not entirely sure where the problem lies so I thought I'd just ask
> both of you if you might know what could be causing the error I'm
> getting trying to run a tutorial on Rails. I'm running Rails-0.8.5,
> postgres-pr-0.2.1, and a PostgreSQL DB (version 8 RC 3), on Ruby 1.8.2RC3.
>
> The code that evokes the error is as so...
>
> in [todo_controller.rb]
>
> require 'abstract_application'
> require 'todo'
>
> class TodoController < AbstractApplicationController
> helper :todo
> scaffold :todo
> end
> and in [todo_helper.rb]
>
> module TodoHelper
> end
>
> and lastly in [todo.rb]
>
> require 'active_record'
> require 'todo'
>
> class Todo < ActiveRecord::Base
> end
> The issued URL looks like: http://localhost/todo/
>
> The error:
>
> TypeError in Todo#index
>
> superclass mismatch for class ParseError

Hm, ParseError is a class in postgres-pr/message.rb. But I don't understand
the error message "superclass mismatch". Can you update to
0.2.2 which puts all stuff into a module PostgresPR. Maybe it was a
namespace issue?

Regards,

Michael

2 Answers

Dick Davies

* Abraham Vionas <abe_ml@bozemantechmedic.com> [1118 07:18]:
> I'm running XP, Ruby 1.8.2RC3, Rails 0.8.5, PostgreSQL 8BetaRC3, and
> Postgres-pr (new Ruby library).
>
> My problem is that I'm getting an "Unexpected EOF error on client
> connection."
>
> Does anyone perchance know what's causing this? It happens both on Webrick
> and Apache.

I had it last night for a bit, it was a bad database.yml setting.
Can you get in with psql?

The following database.yml:

production:
adapter: postgresql
database: dbname
host: db.server
username: dbuser
password: dbpass

maps to

psql -U dbuser -h db.server dbname
<enter dbpass when prompted>

If you can't see your tables (type \dt once you're in psql), create them.

--
Everybody I know who is right always agrees with ME. - Rev Lady Mal

Abraham Vionas

Thanks for the helpful instructions Dick. :)

I hadn't yet tried getting in with psql, but using what you described I was
able to get in with the settings I have currently established in the
database.yaml file.

Talk about frustrating, I think I'm gonna have to break out my process
viewer so I can see what files this baby touches. UGH.

> I'm running XP, Ruby 1.8.2RC3, Rails 0.8.5, PostgreSQL 8BetaRC3, and
> Postgres-pr (new Ruby library).
>
> My problem is that I'm getting an "Unexpected EOF error on client
> connection."
>
> Does anyone perchance know what's causing this? It happens both on
> Webrick and Apache.

I had it last night for a bit, it was a bad database.yml setting.
Can you get in with psql?

The following database.yml:

production:
adapter: postgresql
database: dbname
host: db.server
username: dbuser
password: dbpass

maps to

psql -U dbuser -h db.server dbname
<enter dbpass when prompted>

If you can't see your tables (type \dt once you're in psql), create them.

--
Everybody I know who is right always agrees with ME. - Rev Lady Mal Rasputin
:: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns