algebra calculator ...

Karl-Heinz Wild

11/23/2004 6:51:00 AM

Hi.

I do some mathematics studys at school.
Do validate me homework I don't have
a ruby calculator for algebra.

I would like to have one :-)
Yes I know, I could if I knew what you know,
write my one :-)

It there anything out there do solve
problems like

(a^2b^3c)
---------
(a^2-2)

or just

(2ab^2-c^2)(ab-bc^2)

mybe with describing the steps?

you know what I mean?

regards
Karl-Heinz

2 Answers

Brian Schröder

Look for mathomatics. Its not ruby, but its nice.

http://osx.freshmeat.net/projects/m...

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://www.brian-sch...

oinkoink+unet

Wild Karl-Heinz <kh.wild@wicom.li> wrote in message news:<1667590558.20041123075114@wicom.li>...

> I do some mathematics studys at school.
> Do validate me homework I don't have
> a ruby calculator for algebra.

> I would like to have one :-)
> Yes I know, I could if I knew what you know,
> write my one :-)

> It there anything out there do solve
> problems like

> (a^2b^3c)
> ---------
> (a^2-2)

> or just

> (2ab^2-c^2)(ab-bc^2)
> maybe with describing the steps?

The algebra package in the RAA by Shin-Ichiro Hara is *very*
good, but it is probably too high-faluting for you. (It is
really meant for mathematicians. If you don't know what a ring
is, you'll have a hard time using it.) I have a low-faluting
polynomial library called Pnom that can do a fair amount of basic
algebra and which is compatible with the Ruby mathn library,
but I need to implement some good, general, root-finding
algorithms before it is ready for public consumption. It
also might assume a little more math knowledge than what you
are looking for. So I guess you'll just have to write it
yourself :-).

Regards, Bret