SOT: FreeRIDE

Lyndon Samson

11/21/2004 10:59:00 PM

Firstly, I'd like to say, a great IDE for a great language!

There is one smallish problem I've experienced.

When 'running' a program, STDOUT seems to be buffered, and the program
does not exit after all the user code has finished executing.

If I hit stop, I see the output, and the run exits.

Has this been seen before?

cheers
lyndon

4 Answers

Laurent Julliard

Lyndon Samson wrote:
> Firstly, I'd like to say, a great IDE for a great language!
>
> There is one smallish problem I've experienced.
>
> When 'running' a program, STDOUT seems to be buffered, and the program
> does not exit after all the user code has finished executing.
>
> If I hit stop, I see the output, and the run exits.
>
> Has this been seen before?
>
> cheers
> lyndon

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, it's a "known feature" on Windows. For some obscure reason the
FOX/FXRuby IO handlers on Windows doesn't see the IO traffic on stdout
until the process is over. I have tried very hard to fix this problem
for long to no avail. May be FOX/FX Ruby 1.2 will fix it.

I have implemented a work around in the next version of FreeRIDE
(coming soon) where a script can be executed by the script runner or
the debugger in a text console. There you'll see the output in real time.

If you cannot wait to use it, you can get it from the CVS repo of
FreeRIDE at http://rubyforge.org/scm/?g...

Keep using FreeRIDE and provide us with feedback.

Laurent

--
Laurent JULLIARD
Xerox Global Services

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Hi!

Lyndon Samson's message has a subject line reading "SOT: FreeRIDE". I
would usually read 'SOT' as 'Somewhat Off-Topic' but this obviously does
not make sense in this case. If problems with running a Ruby program
were not on-topic here then something were terribly wrong with the
charta of comp.lang.ruby.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt NOTE: mails >100 KiB are ignored
--
German edition of comp.lang.ruby FAQ - http://oss.erdfunkstell...
Aurox Linux - http://q... | http://q... - Firefox

Lyndon Samson

Slightly|Somewhat.

There is probably a FreeRIDE ML that is more appropriate, I was just lazy :-)

--
Into RFID? www.rfidnewsupdate.com Simple, fast, news.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt