Art

7/4/2002 12:40:00 AM

I have following questions to ask:

1. I want to set up the mobile web site for my project. How do I set up the
mobile web server so any mobile devices such as cell phone, pocket pc can
connect to view the web page? (windows2000 os)

2. if data that use to represent come from the same database, do I need to
create 2 web sites, one for mobile devices and the other for general desktop
pc?

3. is the mobile mobile web site can be accessed by both pocket pc and cell
phone with the same output? or I have to create it differently?

4. creating the mobile web site using .NET tech, is it still use WAP?

Thank you, my questions might sound stupid but I'm very newbie, so please
forgive me.

1 Answer

Anil John

Art,

As a general background, you may want to read up on the capabilities of the
Mobile Internet Toolkit (MIT) @
http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=6&am...

A good overview of the MIT can also be found @
http://www.asp.net/mobile/intro.aspx?...

> 1. I want to set up the mobile web site for my project. How do I set up
the
> mobile web server so any mobile devices such as cell phone, pocket pc can
> connect to view the web page? (windows2000 os)

You of course need to install the .net Framework. Beyond that to provide
mobile support you need to intall the Mobile Internet Toolkit. Download
location for both is @ http://www.asp.net/dow...

At a high level, you need to set up your aspx pages such that when a device
visits your site, the site automatically detects whether or not the device
is a desktop browser or a mobile device and redirects the device to the
appropriate page. An example of how this is done can be found by looking at
the default page of the MS IBuySpyPortal Sample App @
http://www.ibuyspyportal.com/sourceviewer/srcview.aspx?path=default.sr...
=Default.aspx&rows=1

> 2. if data that use to represent come from the same database, do I need to
> create 2 web sites, one for mobile devices and the other for general
desktop
> pc?

The MIT does not provide the rich output options that the pure asp.net web
form controls do. So it is indeed recommended that you create two separate
UI's. One for desktop and one for the Mobile devices. Do note that I said
UI's. If designed correctly, you should be able to use the same business
logic and data tiers for both the desktop and the mobile options.

> 3. is the mobile mobile web site can be accessed by both pocket pc and
cell
> phone with the same output? or I have to create it differently?
>
> 4. creating the mobile web site using .NET tech, is it still use WAP?

These are in some ways related. One of the beauties of the MIT is that
depending on the device that is viewing the page it will generate the
appropriate markup. i.e. HTML/DHTML for IE and WML for a Mobile device.
The toolkit overview @ http://www.asp.net/mobile/intro.aspx?... and
the Mobile Quickstarts @
http://www.gotdotnet.com/mobilequickstart//De... should give you a
good intro to the power that the MIT brings to Mobile web development.

> Thank you, my questions might sound stupid but I'm very newbie, so please
> forgive me.

Nothing to forgive :-) There are no stupid questions. Good luck and have
fun!

- Anil John - http://Learn...
- #1 .net Mobile & Wireless Resource
- Connect with .net - Anytime. Anywhere.