Konrad Wicynski

7/3/2002 4:31:00 PM

Hi

How can I debug my program written in C#
on Win98. This is customer machine
and only installed dotnetfx, and IE60 and MDAC for
database operations.
If I try install Framework SDK with
debugger ther is message:

This component cannot be installed
on Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, or
Windows ME. Upgrade your operating system
to Windows NT 4.0 or higher and then rerun
setup.

So my customer don't want to
upgrade.

And additionally I want to know
what to do if customer don't want
upgrade to IE60. For example
Crystal Reports don't work
at all.

Thanks
Konrad
5 Answers

Mike

"Konrad Wicynski" <konrad007@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in news:14d7b01c2229e
$5e311f90$9be62ecf@tkmsftngxa03:

> Hi
>
> How can I debug my program written in C#
> on Win98. This is customer machine
> and only installed dotnetfx, and IE60 and MDAC for
> database operations.
> If I try install Framework SDK with
> debugger ther is message:
>
> This component cannot be installed
> on Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, or
> Windows ME. Upgrade your operating system
> to Windows NT 4.0 or higher and then rerun
> setup.
>
> So my customer don't want to
> upgrade.

I would do something as simple as maintain a log file with debugging
information. Granted, it won't be as nice as stepping through the code,
but it should provide you with valuable information. Every single one of
my applications has logging built into it. I typically log things like
function entry and exit, database operations (the actual data that is being
used for an insert, update or delete), etc.

As for your customer not wanting to upgrade to IE 6...well, I would tell
them that in order for the reports to work, you must install IE 6. If they
still don't want to upgrade, tell them it will take quite a bit of time to
reproduce the reports using native .NET and that it will cost them quite a
bit more.

mike

Konrad

Ok. But is this really true
that in .NET there is no
possibility to debug application under Win98
on customer machine.
This is unbelieveable?

U¿ytkownik "Mike" <mjeaton_1@yahoo.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> "Konrad Wicynski" <konrad007@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in news:14d7b01c2229e
> $5e311f90$9be62ecf@tkmsftngxa03:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > How can I debug my program written in C#
> > on Win98. This is customer machine
> > and only installed dotnetfx, and IE60 and MDAC for
> > database operations.
> > If I try install Framework SDK with
> > debugger ther is message:
> >
> > This component cannot be installed
> > on Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, or
> > Windows ME. Upgrade your operating system
> > to Windows NT 4.0 or higher and then rerun
> > setup.
> >
> > So my customer don't want to
> > upgrade.
>
> I would do something as simple as maintain a log file with debugging
> information. Granted, it won't be as nice as stepping through the code,
> but it should provide you with valuable information. Every single one of
> my applications has logging built into it. I typically log things like
> function entry and exit, database operations (the actual data that is
being
> used for an insert, update or delete), etc.
>
> As for your customer not wanting to upgrade to IE 6...well, I would tell
> them that in order for the reports to work, you must install IE 6. If
they
> still don't want to upgrade, tell them it will take quite a bit of time to
> reproduce the reports using native .NET and that it will cost them quite a
> bit more.
>
> mike

Mike

"Konrad" <konrad007@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in

> Ok. But is this really true
> that in .NET there is no
> possibility to debug application under Win98
> on customer machine.

I was simply stating how I would approach the problem. :-) There are many
times when it's much simpler to log certain information (all exceptions for
example) in a log file than it is to muck around with an end-user system.
By keeping logs, I am almost always able to reproduce the problem on my
development system.

The end-user shouldn't be bothered by all the geeky stuff that we care
about. They just want to get their job done and not have to worry anything
else.

mike

NETMaster

AFAIK with VS.NET there is 'Remote debugging',
using the DCOM option on Win9x.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vsdebug/html/vxoriRemoteDebuggin...

--
NETMaster (Thomas Scheidegger)
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_c...

"Konrad" <konrad007@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:afv4rh$chg$1@news.tpi.pl...
> Ok. But is this really true
> that in .NET there is no
> possibility to debug application under Win98
> on customer machine.
> This is unbelieveable?

Kevin Peck

The answer is NO, you can not set up the .NET environment under Win98 to
debug on the box. You can do remote debugging.

I also do not like this. As much as MS wants us to believe there is one
Win32 API there is not. Win98 can run .NET applications but they will
always have a different set of bugs than Win2k or WinNT or WinXP, it has
been that way for a long time in the land of C++. I know, only use the
.NET framework, but come on, 1/2 the answers out here tell you to InterOp
to get something done.

I find this to be a major annoyance to. A lot of our customers will run
Win98 and out inability to debug on their machine using their
configuration will be a hassle. I know MS did this to sunset older
versions of the OS but it is a PITA for developers. At least they could
have provided a stand alone debugger under Win98, I don't have to have
the full IDE.