Send Text Message To Mobile Device

Anthony

6/27/2002 6:36:00 PM

Hello,

Ddoes anyone know how to send text messages to a mobile
device?

I want to add the functionality like MSN Mobile, that
sends alerts to your mobile device.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Anthony
4 Answers

Randy Charles Morin

This functionality is widely non-standard. Each wireless operator supports different protocols. I'm not aware of any common
standard, although I know of 5-10 companies that are trying to do this. If anybody knows of any protocol winning the day, then
please keep me informed.

If you want to send only on one wireless network, then I suggest you visit their website and find out which protocols they support.
For example, on Bell Mobility (Canada), you can send these messages using regular SMTP mail (phonenumber@xxx.bellmobility.ca). Many
carriers have adopted a simlar protocol.
--
Randy Charles Morin
http://www....

Feel free to contact me by private email or messenger
morin_randy@hotmail.com
randy@kbcafe.com

"Anthony" <anthony@azuremind.com> wrote in message news:12d5601c21df8$bd6edf10$b1e62ecf@tkmsftngxa04...
> Hello,
>
> Ddoes anyone know how to send text messages to a mobile
> device?
>
> I want to add the functionality like MSN Mobile, that
> sends alerts to your mobile device.
>
> Please point me in the right direction.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Anthony

Jens

Randy is completely right, there is no standard way of doing this. If you
want to send just a few messages per day you should get an ActiveX control
that can do OTA delivery on a nokia, that email to SMS is different from
provider to provider and for some it is free for other not (!) SMS is
generally a maze of problems. The best overall solution is to just hook up a
phone to the computer and then program against the phones api, if you really
want to do it yourself.

regards

Jens

"Randy Charles Morin" <rmorin@kbcafe.com> wrote in message
> This functionality is widely non-standard. Each wireless operator supports
different protocols. I'm not aware of any common
> standard, although I know of 5-10 companies that are trying to do this. If
anybody knows of any protocol winning the day, then
> please keep me informed.
>
> If you want to send only on one wireless network, then I suggest you visit
their website and find out which protocols they support.
> For example, on Bell Mobility (Canada), you can send these messages using
regular SMTP mail (phonenumber@xxx.bellmobility.ca). Many
> carriers have adopted a simlar protocol.
> --
> Randy Charles Morin
> http://www....
>
> Feel free to contact me by private email or messenger
> morin_randy@hotmail.com
> randy@kbcafe.com
>
> "Anthony" <anthony@azuremind.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Ddoes anyone know how to send text messages to a mobile
> > device?
> >
> > I want to add the functionality like MSN Mobile, that
> > sends alerts to your mobile device.
> >
> > Please point me in the right direction.
> >

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Anthony

(Boris)

Anthony,

I would be more than happy to give you a great solution. Go to
MessagingYou[.com] for sending SMS. Its works with almost any carrier
in the US for sending SMS from your desktop. Its also FREE. I work
for the company and they do price solutions to connect through their
network.. that is, for companies who want to send out alerts, etc. to
cellular devices - through an API.

Thanks and let me know if this helps.

Boris
vborisb@yahoo.com

"Jens" <jens@mydestiny.net> wrote in message news:<u7M1tawJCHA.2508@tkmsftngp08>...
> Randy is completely right, there is no standard way of doing this. If you
> want to send just a few messages per day you should get an ActiveX control
> that can do OTA delivery on a nokia, that email to SMS is different from
> provider to provider and for some it is free for other not (!) SMS is
> generally a maze of problems. The best overall solution is to just hook up a
> phone to the computer and then program against the phones api, if you really
> want to do it yourself.
>
> regards
>
> Jens
>

> "Randy Charles Morin" <rmorin@kbcafe.com> wrote in message
> > This functionality is widely non-standard. Each wireless operator supports
> different protocols. I'm not aware of any common
> > standard, although I know of 5-10 companies that are trying to do this. If
> anybody knows of any protocol winning the day, then
> > please keep me informed.
> >
> > If you want to send only on one wireless network, then I suggest you visit
> their website and find out which protocols they support.
> > For example, on Bell Mobility (Canada), you can send these messages using
> regular SMTP mail (phonenumber@xxx.bellmobility.ca). Many
> > carriers have adopted a simlar protocol.
> > --
> > Randy Charles Morin
> > http://www....
> >
> > Feel free to contact me by private email or messenger
> > morin_randy@hotmail.com
> > randy@kbcafe.com
> >
> > "Anthony" <anthony@azuremind.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Ddoes anyone know how to send text messages to a mobile
> > > device?
> > >
> > > I want to add the functionality like MSN Mobile, that
> > > sends alerts to your mobile device.
> > >
> > > Please point me in the right direction.
> > >

> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Anthony

twaltari

> The best overall solution is to just hook up a
>phone to the computer and then program against the phones
> api, if you really want to do it yourself.

Agreed, I your demand for throughput isn't too high. Nokia
phones newer than 7110 connect to your PC's serial port
and use a simple AT modem command language extension for
sending and recieving SMS. Implementing that api yourself
shouldn't be too hard.