Kevin Dietz

6/25/2002 6:56:00 PM

Is there any online help/documentation on ODBC.NET, and if so where? Mostly
I'm looking for reference materials, but tutorials are good too.
- Kevin

3 Answers

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))

Kevin,

The documentation for the ODBC .NET data provider is installed with the provider. You may find it locally at:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Odbc.Net\OdbcRef.CHM

You may also find some Knowledgbase articles on our website at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-US&pr=k...

Select ODBC from the left top drop down and click search now button. You should be able then to look for specific articles as they are grouped by category.

Thanks,
Hussein Abuthuraya
Microsoft Developer Support

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.co....

(Peter Chong)

Hi, Hussein
I print and reads help, but not that help for dummy(help for help),
Can you provide an asp(vb).net sample code like odbc.net for dummy?

TIA, PeterC

HussAbOnline@microsoft.com (Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT)) wrote in message news:<PCnjhzIHCHA.1588@cpmsftngxa08>...
> Kevin,
>
> The documentation for the ODBC .NET data provider is installed with the provider. You may find it locally at:
>
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Odbc.Net\OdbcRef.CHM
>
> You may also find some Knowledgbase articles on our website at:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-US&pr=k...
>
> Select ODBC from the left top drop down and click search now button. You should be able then to look for specific articles as they are grouped by category.
>

> Thanks,
> Hussein Abuthuraya
> Microsoft Developer Support

> Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
> http://www.microsoft.co....

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))

Peter,

If you don't have previous knowledge with VS.NET with any .NET provider or ADO.NET then your job is going to be harder. That help file doesn't teach you VS.NET, it is
rather discusses the object model for the ODBC .NET Data Provider.

VS.NET Help or the .NET SDK and Framework should have what you need about the VS.NET IDE, language syntaxes, Wizards, ADO.NET object model, etc...

Also the Quick Start sample projects are good to be familiar with and learn some coding techniques for ASP.NET and Windows Forms. If you didn't install them, you can
check them out on the following public website:

http://samples.gotdotnet.com/q...

I don't know much you know about all the above but here is a sample that connects to database and display the results in a DataGrid:

<%@ Import Namespace = "System.Data" %>
<%@ Import Namespace = "Microsoft.Data.Odbc" %>
<%@ CompilerOptions='/R:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Odbc.Net\Microsoft.data.odbc.dll"' %>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>WebForm2</title>
</HEAD>

<script language=VB runat="server">

Sub Button1_Click(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs)

Dim DS As DataSet
Dim MyConnection As odbcConnection
Dim MyCommand As odbcDataAdapter

MyConnection = New odbcConnection("UID=XXX;PWD=XXX;DSN=MyDSN")
MyCommand = New odbcDataAdapter("select * from TABLE", myConnection)

DS = new DataSet()
MyCommand.Fill(DS, "TABLE")

DataGrid1.DataSource = DS.Tables("TABLE")
DataGrid1.DataBind()

End Sub

</script>

<asp:Button id=Button1 onclick=Button1_Click style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 418px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 425px" runat="server" Text="Fill Grid"></asp:Button>
<asp:DataGrid id=DataGrid1 style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 224px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 57px" runat="server" Width="501px" Height="312px"></asp:DataGrid>

</form>

</HTML>

When the page loads, just click on the button and your grid will populate.

Note that the above sample uses in-line code. However, the same results could be achieved using Code-Behind pages.