Re: debugging rails in an IDE?

Jim Weirich

11/18/2004 9:09:00 PM

Lothar Scholz said:
> Hello John,
>
> JW> I've been really digging the ArachnoRuby IDE lately
> JW> (http://www.ru...). It's still beta, and it has a few quirks at
> JW> this point (mainly related to the way it auto-indents code), but it's
>
> Can you please give me some code snippets where the auto-indents are
> wrong. Also do you use version 3.2 ? I fixed some of the auto-indent
> bugs there and now i think it only fails on complicated quoted strings.

Yeah, long quoted strings using %{ ... } tend to confuse it. Also,
continued lines don't seem to be indented as I expect. For example..

x = a +
b # <== I expected continued lines to be indented.

Also, long here documents are modified by indent region/indent file.
Since here documents are strings, I would expect them to be left alone
during the reformatting process. For example, running indent-selection on
the following code ...

class_eval <<-EOS
def #{sym}() @#{sym} end
def #{sym}=(value)
self.class.validate(:#{sym}, value)
@#{sym} = value
end
EOS

... has the following effect ...

class_eval <<-EOS
def #{sym}() @#{sym} end
def #{sym}=(value)
self.class.validate(:#{sym}, value)
@#{sym} = value
end
EOS

But these are minor complaints. All in all, from the little I have played
with it, it is a very nice looking package. The user interaction is nice
and crisp, windows open immediately with no delay. The artwork is well
done and attractive. Nice attention to detail. I particularly like
things like the "display this buffer in a browser" command. Good job!

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...