OpenSSL with One-click installer?

Robert Feldt

My students are at it again:

Seems that OpenSSL is not included with the one-click Windows
installer. Maybe it should be? Or if we could make prebuilt
binaries for it that can be installed with the gem command now
included in the one-click installer. Anyway it's now a bit
frustrating that it is built by default on linux and with cygwin
(if openssl available) but is not included with the one-click
installer.

I can't seem to find a place where a prebuilt extension for
openssl on windows is available; I seem to remember that it was
avilable on http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/m... but
can't find it anymore. Any links or should I recommend them to
compile it themselves via Mingw?

Best,

Robert Feldt
6 Answers

Austin Ziegler

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:18:17 +0900, Robert Feldt <feldt@ce.chalmers.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My students are at it again:
>
> Seems that OpenSSL is not included with the one-click Windows
> installer. Maybe it should be? Or if we could make prebuilt
> binaries for it that can be installed with the gem command now
> included in the one-click installer. Anyway it's now a bit
> frustrating that it is built by default on linux and with cygwin
> (if openssl available) but is not included with the one-click
> installer.
>
> I can't seem to find a place where a prebuilt extension for
> openssl on windows is available; I seem to remember that it was
> avilable on http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/m... but
> can't find it anymore. Any links or should I recommend them to
> compile it themselves via Mingw?

I think that I opened this as a bug on the RubyForge project for the
installer, because it's affecting me with a bit of GMail interaction I
want to do.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Roland Schmitt

Hello,

Robert Feldt wrote:
> I can't seem to find a place where a prebuilt extension for openssl on
> windows is available; I seem to remember that it was avilable on
> http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/m... but can't find it anymore.
> Any links or should I recommend them to compile it themselves via Mingw?

The openssl module is included in the builds from
http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/m...
(lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32/openssl.so), but libeay32.dll and
ssleay32.dll are missing.
You can copy the two files from a binary distribution of openssl for
windows, for example the one from
http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32Op.... The installer put
both files in %WINDOWS_HOME%\system32, you have to copy them to a
directory where ruby.exe can find them, e.g. to the bin folder of the
intepreter.

Roland

Shashank Date

Hi Robert,

> Any links or should I recommend them to
> compile it themselves via Mingw?

Will VC++ Toolkit 2003 version work for you?

> Best,

Thanks,

> Robert Feldt
-- shanko

http://my...

Curt Hibbs

Austin Ziegler wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:18:17 +0900, Robert Feldt
> <feldt@ce.chalmers.se> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My students are at it again:
> >
> > Seems that OpenSSL is not included with the one-click Windows
> > installer. Maybe it should be? Or if we could make prebuilt
> > binaries for it that can be installed with the gem command now
> > included in the one-click installer. Anyway it's now a bit
> > frustrating that it is built by default on linux and with cygwin
> > (if openssl available) but is not included with the one-click
> > installer.
> >
> > I can't seem to find a place where a prebuilt extension for
> > openssl on windows is available; I seem to remember that it was
> > avilable on http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/m... but
> > can't find it anymore. Any links or should I recommend them to
> > compile it themselves via Mingw?
>
> I think that I opened this as a bug on the RubyForge project for the
> installer, because it's affecting me with a bit of GMail interaction I
> want to do.

I think having out-of-the-box ssl support is important. I bumped your bug
report to highest priority, and I'll try to get this included soon. I am, as
usual, severely over-committed so if there are any gotchas from those who
have installed OpenSSL on windows please pass them along.

Curt

Austin Ziegler

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:22:20 +0900, Curt Hibbs <curt@hibbs.com> wrote:
> I think having out-of-the-box ssl support is important. I bumped your bug
> report to highest priority, and I'll try to get this included soon. I am, as
> usual, severely over-committed so if there are any gotchas from those who
> have installed OpenSSL on windows please pass them along.

I was playing with the Windows Installer scripts a while back in the
interest of making a gentoo-like Windows Installer build -- it would
take longer, but be more complete and up to date, grabbing files from
sources (it would remove issues with some extensions being compiled on
VC6 and others on VC7), and building them. I didn't get very far --
too many other things to do -- but I had no problems building OpenSSL
out of the source download, IIRC.

-austin
--

Austin Ziegler wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:22:20 +0900, Curt Hibbs <curt@hibbs.com> wrote:
> > I think having out-of-the-box ssl support is important. I
> bumped your bug
> > report to highest priority, and I'll try to get this included
> soon. I am, as
> > usual, severely over-committed so if there are any gotchas from
> those who
> > have installed OpenSSL on windows please pass them along.
>
> I was playing with the Windows Installer scripts a while back in the
> interest of making a gentoo-like Windows Installer build -- it would
> take longer, but be more complete and up to date, grabbing files from
> sources (it would remove issues with some extensions being compiled on
> VC6 and others on VC7), and building them. I didn't get very far --
> too many other things to do -- but I had no problems building OpenSSL
> out of the source download, IIRC.

Thanks for the OpenSSL report -- sounds like it should go smoothly.

In he long term I agree with you, the building process for the one-click
installer should really build everything from source. I think the current
mix of source-builds and binary-installs was pragmatic (no pun intended) as
a means of getting it out the door.

Curt