linear contraint solver

wannes

11/15/2004 1:15:00 AM

hello,

I'm searching for a linear contraint solver that i can use in a
ruby-project. Looking around, I could only find cassowary[1] but it's in
c++/java.

All help in finding such a thing written in ruby (or other good solvers
that can be ported to ruby) is welcome.

thanks,
wannes

[1] http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/constraints/...
19 Answers

ptkwt

In article <1100473407.30091@seven.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be>,
wannes <wannes@wina.be> wrote:
>hello,
>
>I'm searching for a linear contraint solver that i can use in a
>ruby-project. Looking around, I could only find cassowary[1] but it's in
>c++/java.
>
>All help in finding such a thing written in ruby (or other good solvers
>that can be ported to ruby) is welcome.
>
>[1] http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/constraints/...

According to the web page they have sample applications written in
Smalltalk and Python. That would seem to imply that they've wrapped the
C++ library for use in those languages. Perhaps you could use Swig
(http://ww...) to create a wrapper for these libraries so that you
can access them from Ruby. This would be faster than a pure Ruby
implementation which could be advantagous for something like this that is
mathematically intense.

Phil

Charles Mills

On Nov 14, 2004, at 3:08 PM, wannes wrote:

> hello,
>
> I'm searching for a linear contraint solver that i can use in a
> ruby-project. Looking around, I could only find cassowary[1] but it's
> in c++/java.

Here are a couple ideas:
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/otc/Guide/faq/linear-pr...
faq.html#free

> All help in finding such a thing written in ruby (or other good
> solvers that can be ported to ruby) is welcome.

Don't know of anything written in pure ruby... there is a Ruby wrapper
available for the GSL - GNU Scientific Library. Not sure if that has
what you need.

-Charlie

Tom Copeland

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 21:29, Charles Mills wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2004, at 3:08 PM, wannes wrote:
>
> > hello,
> >
> > I'm searching for a linear contraint solver that i can use in a
> > ruby-project. Looking around, I could only find cassowary[1] but it's
> > in c++/java.

There's a linear algebra library here:

http://rubyforge.org/projec...

Yours,

tom

Gumby

On Oct 19, 8:50 am, "Zeke" <Z...@BearHoller.net> wrote:
> Colin Powell supports Obama.  That says it all.
> Race is more important than policy to some people.
> Are they racist?

Not necessarily. You can't be this dumb. Are you racist when you
back McCain or another white candidate?

?tarkiller?

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:34:05 -0700 (PDT), Gumby
<abbynormal47@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Oct 19, 8:50?am, "Zeke" <Z...@BearHoller.net> wrote:
>> Colin Powell supports Obama. ?That says it all.
>> Race is more important than policy to some people.
>> Are they racist?
>
>Not necessarily. You can't be this dumb. Are you racist when you
>back McCain or another white candidate?

According to the left leaning posters of this newsgroup, yes.

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you," Sen. Clinton said.
"We're saying that for America to get back on track,
we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you.
We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."

clouddreamer

Sanders Kaufman wrote:
> "Dano" <janeanddano@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> But had some black conservative run for president, do you really suppose
>> there would be such overwhelming support for him from blacks? Be honest
>> now.
>
> It's worth pointing out that a black man DID try to run for the Republican
> nomination.
> He was a Limbaugh-style AM talk radio host.
> Almost nobody supported him.

Republicans support a black candidate? LOL.

They're still living in the 1st century. It's gonna be a few more
centuries before the Republicans begin to live with the times.

..

--
We must change the way we live
Or the climate will do it for us.

Dano

Starkiller wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:34:05 -0700 (PDT), Gumby
> <abbynormal47@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 19, 8:50 am, "Zeke" <Z...@BearHoller.net> wrote:
>>> Colin Powell supports Obama. That says it all.
>>> Race is more important than policy to some people.
>>> Are they racist?
>>
>> Not necessarily. You can't be this dumb. Are you racist when you
>> back McCain or another white candidate?
>
> According to the left leaning posters of this newsgroup, yes.

I challenge you to find one person that has ever said that. There ARE
racists still in this country...of all colors and political stripes. White
folks being the majority in this country...it is logical to me that those
numbers will be far greater. Of course any group that has NEVER had a
candidate progress this far, can reasonably be expected to vote in large
numbers for one of their own. But had some black conservative run for
president, do you really suppose there would be such overwhelming support
for him from blacks? Be honest now.

Hopefully the numbers of hardcore white racists, who would simply never vote
for a black person, for that reason alone, have become a small enough
portion of the electorate, that those numbers can be overcome. If you don't
believe that they still exist...in fair numbers...you are either a liar or
delusional...or you are one yourself.

Sanders Kaufman [MCSD]

"Dano" <janeanddano@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> But had some black conservative run for president, do you really suppose
> there would be such overwhelming support for him from blacks? Be honest
> now.

It's worth pointing out that a black man DID try to run for the Republican
nomination.
He was a Limbaugh-style AM talk radio host.
Almost nobody supported him.

Tom

On Oct 19, 2:56 pm, "Sanders Kaufman" <bu...@kaufman.net> wrote:
> "Dano" <janeandd...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > But had some black conservative run for president, do you really suppose
> > there would be such overwhelming support for him from blacks?  Be honest
> > now.
>
> It's worth pointing out that a black man DID try to run for the Republican
> nomination.
> He was a Limbaugh-style AM talk radio host.
> Almost nobody supported him.

Yep.

Alan Keyes anyone?

Tom

V for Vendicar

"clouddreamer" <Clim@te.Change.is.real.ca> wrote
> They're still living in the 1st century. It's gonna be a few more
> centuries before the Republicans begin to live with the times.

RepubliKKKunts carry Neolithic Genes that make them more suitable for the
zoo than existance in Modern Society, That's why so many of them are in
AmeriKKKan Prisons.