Re: Ruby in the enterprise...

Wood, Jeff

11/14/2004 7:58:00 PM

I think I need to restate what my goal is:

The whole reasoning for my questioning is that I currently build command-line based scripts ( data mashers, etc ) in Ruby. For most of my day-to-day work, that's all I need. However, I am involved in larger projects that are currently being developed in Java, C++, etc. I'm looking for examples of larger (enterprise-scale) projects that have been implemented in Ruby so that when I make proposals for new systems/services/tools etc that I'd like to write in Ruby, I have some formal documentation as to "it can be done, it *has* been done, it runs well & fast" ... Etc.

I'd like to be able to show examples where a multi-tiered application ( and I don't simply mean a web tier and a database tier, I mean something with intermediate business logic layers that exist separately from the DB and/or the presentation logic ) has been built, runs all the time, and is easier to maintain.

And, as to the comment about any system @ amazon being written in ruby, I can state that there are only 3 supported programming languages within amazon and Ruby is not and has not ever been one of them.

J.

<disclaimer>

Please ignore my @amazon email address, these questions and/or my opinions do not in any way reflect Amazon.com policy and/or interests. My interest in Ruby is simply my personal desire for productive programming solutions.

</disclaimer>

1 Answer

Florian Gross

Wood, Jeff wrote:

> I think I need to restate what my goal is:
>
> The whole reasoning for my questioning is that I currently build
> command-line based scripts ( data mashers, etc ) in Ruby. For most of
> my day-to-day work, that's all I need. However, I am involved in
> larger projects that are currently being developed in Java, C++, etc.
> I'm looking for examples of larger (enterprise-scale) projects that
> have been implemented in Ruby so that when I make proposals for new
> systems/services/tools etc that I'd like to write in Ruby, I have
> some formal documentation as to "it can be done, it *has* been done,
> it runs well & fast" ... Etc.
>
> I'd like to be able to show examples where a multi-tiered application
> ( and I don't simply mean a web tier and a database tier, I mean
> something with intermediate business logic layers that exist
> separately from the DB and/or the presentation logic ) has been
> built, runs all the time, and is easier to maintain.

Basecamp comes to mind -- not that I mean to imply that it is comparable
to big content providers like Google, Ebay or Amazon, but it is a
successful web service that is more successful because of the fact it
was build in Ruby.

Basecamp was built with RubyOnRails, a powerful MVC-encouraging (it
naturally seduces you to separate your business logic from your
presentation logic and database queries) separating framework for
building web services with Ruby. See http://www.rubyo...

Talks about how Basecamp was built are given every few months. See
http://www.37signals.com/workshop-ba...

Other than that the already mentioned RealWorldRuby wiki page ought to
point out other interesting examples of where Ruby gets used. Finding
the ones similar to how you would like to use Ruby might however be a
bit challenging. See http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?Rea...

Some of the overlap between those two topics (Rails and real world
usage) is also listed at http://www.rubyo.../show/RealWorldUsage