Julian Kooiker

Does anybody know how to use an Oracle database in VB.NET? Where can I start
looking on the internet for information about the standard operations
(query, insert, update etc)

Julian

8 Answers

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))

Julian,

Using Oracle from VB.NET is not any different from using it with VB6 for example. If you never used Oracle through any VB version then your learning curve may be longer.

However, as a start, you have to have an Oracle client installed on the machine that you are trying to connect from. Also you have to have some experience with Oracle
servers and databases (operations and syntax wise). Once you have it installed and you verified that you can connect to it, just take any sample code that uses OleDB .NET
data provider and change the connection string to your oracle server and it should work.

If you need specific one, please let me know and I'll write one for you.

Thanks,
Hussein Abuthuraya
Microsoft Developer Support

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.co....

Julian Kooiker

Thanks, I'll try some things. So I have to look for OleDB.NET.

"Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT)" <HussAbOnline@microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Julian,
>
> Using Oracle from VB.NET is not any different from using it with VB6 for
example. If you never used Oracle through any VB version then your learning
curve may be longer.

> However, as a start, you have to have an Oracle client installed on the
machine that you are trying to connect from. Also you have to have some
experience with Oracle
> servers and databases (operations and syntax wise). Once you have it
installed and you verified that you can connect to it, just take any sample
code that uses OleDB .NET
> data provider and change the connection string to your oracle server and
it should work.

> If you need specific one, please let me know and I'll write one for you.
>

> Thanks,
> Hussein Abuthuraya
> Microsoft Developer Support

rights.

> Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
> http://www.microsoft.co....

Carlos J. Quintero

Not exactly. Note that there are 3 .Net Data Providers that you can use with
Oracle:

- The .Net Data Provider for OLEDB, with an OLEDB Oracle provider. This .Net
Data Provider is installed with the product.

- The .Net Data Provider for ODBC, with an ODBC Oracle driver. You must
download this .Net Data Provider separately from the MS web.

- The .Net Data Provider for Oracle (OracleClient). This is the native way
and therefore the recommended way. You must download this OracleClient .Net
Data Provider separately from the MS web.

--
Best regards,

Carlos J. Quintero

MZ-Tools 3.0 freeware 'all-in-one' Add-In for VB5, VB6 and VBA:
Find and Replace All, Code Templates, Detect Dead Code, TabIndex Assistant,
External Utilities, XML Documentation, Private Clipboards, Statistics, Sort
Procedures and up to 40+ features:
www.mztools.com

"Julian Kooiker" <julian.kooiker@quicknet.nl> wrote in message
> Thanks, I'll try some things. So I have to look for OleDB.NET.

(Peter Chong)

Hi, can you provide sample code to read table1 from oracle DB?
TIA
HussAbOnline@microsoft.com (Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT)) wrote in message news:<nyQ6MW9GCHA.1560@cpmsftngxa07>...
> Julian,
>
> Using Oracle from VB.NET is not any different from using it with VB6 for example. If you never used Oracle through any VB version then your learning curve may be longer.
>
> However, as a start, you have to have an Oracle client installed on the machine that you are trying to connect from. Also you have to have some experience with Oracle
> servers and databases (operations and syntax wise). Once you have it installed and you verified that you can connect to it, just take any sample code that uses OleDB .NET
> data provider and change the connection string to your oracle server and it should work.
>
> If you need specific one, please let me know and I'll write one for you.
>

> Thanks,
> Hussein Abuthuraya
> Microsoft Developer Support

> Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
> http://www.microsoft.co....

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))

Here is sample VB.NET that uses Oracle database:

Imports Microsoft.Data.Odbc
..
Dim cn As OdbcConnection = New OdbcConnection("Driver=Microsoft ODBC for Oracle;uid=xxx;pwd=xxx;server=Oracle816")

Dim cmd As OdbcCommand = New OdbcCommand("Select * FROM BIG_TABLE", cn)
Dim da As OdbcDataAdapter = New OdbcDataAdapter(cmd)
Dim ds As New DataSet()

da.Fill(ds, "BIG_TABLE")

DataGrid1.DataSource = ds.Tables("BIG_TABLE")

Note that the Oracle client components need to be installed on the machine. The server name is the Oracle server alias. Also for Oracle databases, table names are case
sensitive.

Thanks,
Hussein Abuthuraya
Microsoft Developer Support

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.co....

Simon Stemplinger

Does the .NET Data Provider for Oracle also work with the
Visual Studio code generation machanisms like drag&drop
DataAdapter generation or data form wizards?

Best regards,
Simon

(...)

>- The .Net Data Provider for Oracle (OracleClient). This
is the native way
>and therefore the recommended way. You must download
this OracleClient .Net
>Data Provider separately from the MS web.
(...)

Bob Beauchemin

Drag and Drop generates a class instance variable declaration, with perhaps
event handlers for the events thrown by the class. DataAdapter,
DataFormWizard and Server Explorer/DataConnections don't work with it.

Bob Beauchemin
http://staff.develo...

"Simon Stemplinger" <Simon.Stemplinger@gcon.de> wrote in message
> Does the .NET Data Provider for Oracle also work with the
> Visual Studio code generation machanisms like drag&drop
> DataAdapter generation or data form wizards?
>
> Best regards,
> Simon

Chirag Gupta

I would use System.Data.OracleClient recently provided by
microsoft.