RE: machine.config and Phone Support

(Frank Delia)

6/21/2002 8:37:00 PM

Ideally, your hoster will keep their servers up to date with the latest
device updates. There is little risk for them to run the update because
the changes that the device update makes affects only markup for the new
devices tested with that particular update.

If your hoster does not install the update, you can include the updated
<browserCaps> section in your own Web.config file. These settings take
precedence over the Machine.config settings. (If you do this, you'll have
to update this continually, because even if the hoster updates their server
later, your app will not use those settings--they'll look first to
Web.config.

--------------------
| From: "Oliver Leamy" <oleamy@ogenek.com>
| Sender: "Oliver Leamy" <oleamy@ogenek.com>
| Subject: machine.config and Phone Support
| Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:09:55 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile
|
| When I install the 'Update-1' for MMIT, it updates the
| machine.config file so that it provides support for an
| increased number of phone manufacturers/models.
| The 'machine.config' contains information about the
| various phones being supported. I can make changes to
| this file, and it affects the way that the phones are
| supported by the simulator.
|
| My question is this: When I deploy my mobile web
| application to an external hosting site, does the
| enhanced support from machine.config get bundled with my
| application or does the hosting vendor have to have
| the 'update-1' installed as well?

- Frank