OLEDB for ODBC via /NET Framework

z_cvetanovski

6/10/2002 9:50:00 AM

I have download the add-in for .NET Framework ODBC .NET
Data Provider, but as it alwayas is, it won't work.
Please
anybody have some solution.

Actually, I am trying to make some WebService (in
Mannaged
C++) for manipulating data, over older existing ODBC
connection to the Access database, and I am always
getting
the same error, something like "MSDASQL.1 is not
supportet
with .NET OleDbConnection".

I have also tried with Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51 for .NET
OleDbConnection, but still won't work.

The main goal is to fill up some dataset with old
database using the ADO Object Model (ADOConnection,
ADOCommand or ADORecordset ...)

Anybody helps me?...

Thanks
.

2 Answers

Tim Waugh

(1) In your project, use Project|Add Reference to add a reference to the
ODBC .NET assembly (Microsoft.Data.Odbc.dll);
(2) Then change all references to OleDbConnection to OdbcConnection
(similarly for all other OleDb classes, they all have an Odbc equivalent);
(3) Add a using clause at the top of each module: "using
Microsoft.Data.Odbc" (saves a lot of typing);
(4) Rebuild your project;

Microsoft explicitly disallowed using the standard OleDB interface for ODBC
Drivers in the OleDB classes, forcing you to use the dedicated Odbc classes.

Hope this helps,

Tim Waugh

"z_cvetanovski" <zlatkoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have download the add-in for .NET Framework ODBC .NET
> Data Provider, but as it alwayas is, it won't work.
> Please
> anybody have some solution.
>
> Actually, I am trying to make some WebService (in
> Mannaged
> C++) for manipulating data, over older existing ODBC
> connection to the Access database, and I am always
> getting
> the same error, something like "MSDASQL.1 is not
> supportet
> with .NET OleDbConnection".
>
> I have also tried with Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51 for .NET
> OleDbConnection, but still won't work.
>
> The main goal is to fill up some dataset with old
> database using the ADO Object Model (ADOConnection,
> ADOCommand or ADORecordset ...)
>
> Anybody helps me?...
>
> Thanks
> .

z_cvetanovski

Actually, if you are working with Mannaged C++ .NET, you
do not have option in menu to Add a Reference to some
library. This one is done, like you mentioned by:

include <Microsoft.Data.Odbc.dll>
using Microsoft.Data.Odbc,

but be careful you have to include the whole path !!!, in
other way it is not recognized (beside that I have set
through the properties of project/Debug/Library ...

OK, anuway in meantime, I have already solved the problem
with ODBC,
as I found out some articles in the newsgroup above (.NET
Development - odbc) ,but it little bit slower according
to the same .mdb (Access 2000) where I am using
OLDEDBConnection. I thought that, as MS says, it is more
flexible and powerful if you using OLEDB for ODBC, but
unfortunatly it is not supported.

Tim, thanks anyway ...