Graphical Debugger

Brian Schröder

11/10/2004 7:09:00 PM

Hello Group,

I know that freeride has a graphical ruby debugger. I really like debuggers with a gui (coming from delphi) but I also really love editing my code with xemacs. Is there something like a stand alone graphical debugger, or some devious mode to make my xemacs a ruby debugging gui?

Thanks,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://www.brian-sch...

7 Answers

Tobias Luetke

You will like eclipse with the ruby plugin

--
Tobi
http://blog.le...

Lothar Scholz

Hello Tobias,

TL> You will like eclipse with the ruby plugin

He will also like Arachno Ruby.

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

Brian Schröder

Hello Tobias and Lothar,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just tried to use eclipse, but it is too much things for me, I don't need an editor, and I can manage my files quite well, I only wanted to visually step through ruby source code, inspect variables and set breakpoints. Maybe something more like ddd, allowing me to use specific tools for specific purposes. (Even so I have to admit that xemacs does not quite count as a specific tool ;)

To Arachno Ruby applies the same, and I do not plan on buying a full featured IDE if I only need a debugger. (Even though it looks nice).

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://www.brian-sch...

Dan Debertin

Hello Brian

Brian Schröder <ruby@brian-schroeder.de> writes:

> I know that freeride has a graphical ruby debugger. I really like
> debuggers with a gui (coming from delphi)

At one time I worked on getting Ruby support into DDD, but it was too
complex a task for me. If you like C++ and have some time, it would be
a worthwhile addition.

> but I also really love editing my code with xemacs. Is there
> something like a stand alone graphical debugger, or some devious
> mode to make my xemacs a ruby debugging gui?

The 'misc' directory under the Ruby source tree contains
rubydb3x.el. Load that and run M-x rubydb. When it asks you how to run
the Ruby debugger, answer 'ruby -rdebug FILENAME'. That should be all
you need to get single-stepping, breakpoints, etc. under Emacs.

(Note -- I haven't done this under Xemacs, only GNU Emacs. So YMMV.)

Dan
--
Dan Debertin Unix Systems Admin/Programmer
Diehl Hall #203B University of Minnesota

Florian Gross

Brian Schröder wrote:

> I know that freeride has a graphical ruby debugger. I really like
> debuggers with a gui (coming from delphi) but I also really love
> editing my code with xemacs. Is there something like a stand alone
> graphical debugger, or some devious mode to make my xemacs a ruby
> debugging gui?

Do you really need it to be graphical? I have written a simple debugging
tool that uses method calls for spawning irb sessions and contributed it
to the dev-utils project. It might be an alternative.

Brian Schröder

Thank you Dan,

it works like a charm. Weird that I did not encounter it. I repeatedly searched the wikis and google for anything ruby with emacs related and never saw the debugger inclusion.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://www.brian-sch...

Brian Schröder

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:18:29 +0900
Florian Gross <flgr@ccan.de> wrote:

> Brian Schröder wrote:
>
> > I know that freeride has a graphical ruby debugger. I really like
> > debuggers with a gui (coming from delphi) but I also really love
> > editing my code with xemacs. Is there something like a stand alone
> > graphical debugger, or some devious mode to make my xemacs a ruby
> > debugging gui?
>
> Do you really need it to be graphical? I have written a simple debugging
> tool that uses method calls for spawning irb sessions and contributed it
> to the dev-utils project. It might be an alternative.

Thanks for the comment. I like the rubydb.el idea. But I've got no time doing ruby right now, so I hope to play around with both solutions later.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder