Re: [ANN] One-Click Installer 1.8.2-14 RC9 with RubyGems built-in

Bradley, Todd

11/10/2004 3:44:00 PM

> I'd really like to know more about the limitations that moved
> you off of FreeRIDE.

It was bug 963, which is the same root cause (according to
Laurent) as 946, 947, and 953.

> Amazingly (to me anyway), the One-Click Installer for Windows
> has averaged nearly 150 downloads a day for most of this
> year, and I often wonder who is using, and how its working
> out. Of course, I always hear about the problems, but its
> nice to hear from happy campers as well! :-)

It's working out pretty well for me. 3 or 4 of those down-
loads were from me, since I put it on every Windows PC I use
at work and at home. And for the stuff I've written so far,
using SciTE and running code from there (using F5) has worked
fine. Since I'm still learning, none of my play programs is
complex enough that I can't use poor man debugging (puts
statements).

Todd.

2 Answers

Ivan Vodopiviz

> > Amazingly (to me anyway), the One-Click Installer for Windows
> > has averaged nearly 150 downloads a day for most of this
> > year, and I often wonder who is using, and how its working
> > out. Of course, I always hear about the problems, but its
> > nice to hear from happy campers as well! :-)

It's working great! I started with programming a few moths ago, but I
discovered Ruby just a week ago. Obviously, I haven't made anything
cool yet but...
The only thing I don't like is FreeRIDE, but it's not a real problem.

--
BlueSteel | | Merkoth

Curt Hibbs

Bradley, Todd wrote:

> > I'd really like to know more about the limitations that moved
> > you off of FreeRIDE.
>
> It was bug 963, which is the same root cause (according to
> Laurent) as 946, 947, and 953.

FYI, these bugs are fix in FreeRIDE 0.8.0 (but the version in the one-click
installer is still FreeRIDE 0.7.0).

> > Amazingly (to me anyway), the One-Click Installer for Windows
> > has averaged nearly 150 downloads a day for most of this
> > year, and I often wonder who is using, and how its working
> > out. Of course, I always hear about the problems, but its
> > nice to hear from happy campers as well! :-)
>
> It's working out pretty well for me. 3 or 4 of those down-
> loads were from me, since I put it on every Windows PC I use
> at work and at home. And for the stuff I've written so far,
> using SciTE and running code from there (using F5) has worked
> fine. Since I'm still learning, none of my play programs is
> complex enough that I can't use poor man debugging (puts
> statements).

Very good... thanks for letting me know.

Curt