Best RDF Library?

Scott Rubin

11/8/2004 2:13:00 AM

I googled for ruby RDF libraries and found quite a few, but I'm not sure which
one is the best. I'm going to start work on an open source application that
makes heavy use of RDF and I would like to be able to use Ruby. I could
technically do it with rexml, which I already know how to use, but that might
prove too daunting a task. I'm looking more for something built on top of rexml
that is specific to handling RDF. So which one is best?

-Scott
9 Answers

Edwin Eyan Moragas

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:38:35 +0900, Scott Rubin <slr2777@cs.rit.edu> wrote:
> I googled for ruby RDF libraries and found quite a few, but I'm not sure which
> one is the best. I'm going to start work on an open source application that
> makes heavy use of RDF and I would like to be able to use Ruby. I could
> technically do it with rexml, which I already know how to use, but that might
> prove too daunting a task. I'm looking more for something built on top of rexml
> that is specific to handling RDF. So which one is best?

I've come across this problem i little while back.
there's a redland wrapper for Ruby and there's Rena.
i'm gettiong my hands dirty on the latter.

regards
eem
--
i'm not flying. i'm falling... in style.

James Britt

Edwin Eyan Moragas wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:38:35 +0900, Scott Rubin <slr2777@cs.rit.edu> wrote:

> I've come across this problem i little while back.
> there's a redland wrapper for Ruby and there's Rena.
> i'm gettiong my hands dirty on the latter.

Can you post a short commentary on Rena when you have some experience
with it?

Thanks,

James

> regards
> eem

Scott Rubin

Edwin Eyan Moragas wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:38:35 +0900, Scott Rubin <slr2777@cs.rit.edu> wrote:
>
>>I googled for ruby RDF libraries and found quite a few, but I'm not sure which
>>one is the best. I'm going to start work on an open source application that
>>makes heavy use of RDF and I would like to be able to use Ruby. I could
>>technically do it with rexml, which I already know how to use, but that might
>>prove too daunting a task. I'm looking more for something built on top of rexml
>>that is specific to handling RDF. So which one is best?
>

> I've come across this problem i little while back.
> there's a redland wrapper for Ruby and there's Rena.
> i'm gettiong my hands dirty on the latter.
>
> regards
> eem

Yes, the redline wrapper looks like it might be my choice. But the ebuild in
gentoo is broken, so I might have to install it manually. Rena I will
investigate now. Thanks.

Edwin Eyan Moragas

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:24:36 +0900, James Britt
<jamesunderbarb@neurogami.com> wrote:
> Can you post a short commentary on Rena when you have some experience
> with it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

James,

i'll be doing this in one go for all the libraries i'll be using on my project
(which has just been approved at rubyforge, thank Tom :-)

regards,
eem

--

Edwin Eyan Moragas wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:24:36 +0900, James Britt
> <jamesunderbarb@neurogami.com> wrote:
>
>>Can you post a short commentary on Rena when you have some experience
>>with it?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>James
>

> James,
>
> i'll be doing this in one go for all the libraries i'll be using on my project
> (which has just been approved at rubyforge, thank Tom :-)
>
> regards,
> eem

Thanks. I've been meaning to look at some RDF libs, but haven't gotten
around to it.

Of course, if I stall long enough maybe someone will write my code for
me. :)

James

gabriele renzi

Edwin Eyan Moragas ha scritto:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:24:36 +0900, James Britt
> <jamesunderbarb@neurogami.com> wrote:
>
>>Can you post a short commentary on Rena when you have some experience
>>with it?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>James
>

> James,
>
> i'll be doing this in one go for all the libraries i'll be using on my project
> (which has just been approved at rubyforge, thank Tom :-)

in this case, can I suggest you put it on rubygarden ?
It would be nice (and Chad hinted this) if RG could become some sort of
rubyzine, filled with articles (no matter if simple or whatever)

Edwin Eyan Moragas

i wonder how we can formalize this. i mean, if we have standing guidelines
on how easy it would be to locate these articles, this would be swell indeed.

i said locate cause it's easy enough to create a page. what i find
hard is to search for specific topis in the wiki (are we talking about
the wiki?).
or is it just me?

just my thouhgts.

> in this case, can I suggest you put it on rubygarden ?
> It would be nice (and Chad hinted this) if RG could become some sort of
> rubyzine, filled with articles (no matter if simple or whatever)

--
i'm not flying. i'm falling... in style.

gabriele renzi

Edwin Eyan Moragas ha scritto:
> i wonder how we can formalize this. i mean, if we have standing guidelines
> on how easy it would be to locate these articles, this would be swell indeed.
>
> i said locate cause it's easy enough to create a page. what i find
> hard is to search for specific topis in the wiki (are we talking about
> the wiki?).
> or is it just me?
>
> just my thouhgts.

wait: I did'nt mean to use the wiki :)
I was thinking specifically of the rubygarden main page, see the recent
article from david black

Edwin Eyan Moragas

> wait: I did'nt mean to use the wiki :)
> I was thinking specifically of the rubygarden main page, see the recent
> article from david black

got it. ok. let's see what i can come up with later
(by later i mean as time permits)

--
i'm not flying. i'm falling... in style.