getting started with rails for win32

Phlip

11/7/2004 8:47:00 PM

Rubies:

I apologize for trammeling our fine language with such a peesash*t operating
system, but...

How do I get started? I can install rails with the gem system. Then I run
this:

C:\phlip\rails>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails
(in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.8.0)
rm -rf c:/phlip/rails
rake aborted!
Permission denied - c:/phlip/rails
../rakefile:42

C:\phlip\rails>

Why is rails, or something, trying to delete the folder I'm trying to build
a rails website in?

Is there a page on the web about this?

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

11 Answers

James Britt

Phlip wrote:
> Rubies:
>
> I apologize for trammeling our fine language with such a peesash*t operating
> system, but...

... you want users of that OS to help out with a problem?

Interesting technique for soliciting assistance.

I suppose what I find grating about this is the needless sniping that
provides no useful information, but lends an air of immaturity to the
discussion. At best it is churlish . At worst, trolls and flame wars.

James

Phlip

James Britt wrote:

> Phlip wrote:

> > I apologize for trammeling our fine language with such a peesash*t
> > operating system, but...
>
> .. you want users of that OS to help out with a problem?

Okay. Have it your way. It's _Rails's_ fault.

Do I expect its community to help me _now_??

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

Mauricio Fernández

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 05:48:36AM +0900, Phlip wrote:
> Rubies:
>
> I apologize for trammeling our fine language with such a peesash*t operating
> system, but...
>
> How do I get started? I can install rails with the gem system. Then I run
> this:
>
> C:\phlip\rails>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails
> (in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.8.0)
> rm -rf c:/phlip/rails
> rake aborted!
> Permission denied - c:/phlip/rails
> ../rakefile:42
>
> C:\phlip\rails>
>
> Why is rails, or something, trying to delete the folder I'm trying to build
> a rails website in?

It's the expected behavior.
Try to
C:\phlip\rails> cd ..
C:\phlip>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails

And BTW, the permission denied error wouldn't happen on some un*x,
so you can blame win32 if you like.

--
Hassle-free packages for Ruby?
RPA is available from http://www.rubyar...

Phlip

Mauricio Fernández wrote:

> Phlip wrote:

> > Rubies:
> >
> > I apologize for trammeling our fine language with such a peesash*t
operating
> > system, but...
> >
> > How do I get started? I can install rails with the gem system. Then I
run
> > this:
> >
> > C:\phlip\rails>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails
> > (in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.8.0)
> > rm -rf c:/phlip/rails
> > rake aborted!
> > Permission denied - c:/phlip/rails
> > ../rakefile:42
> >
> > C:\phlip\rails>
> >
> > Why is rails, or something, trying to delete the folder I'm trying to
build
> > a rails website in?
>
> It's the expected behavior.
> Try to
> C:\phlip\rails> cd ..
> C:\phlip>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails

That worked - thanks!

> And BTW, the permission denied error wouldn't happen on some un*x,
> so you can blame win32 if you like.

nonono - blame Un*x for letting you delete the folder you are sitting in!

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

Tobias Luetke

I made some videos explaining how to set rails up on windows :

http://blog.leetsoft....

enjoy

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 05:48:36 +0900, Phlip <phlip_cpp@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Rubies:
>
> I apologize for trammeling our fine language with such a peesash*t operating
> system, but...
>
> How do I get started? I can install rails with the gem system. Then I run
> this:
>
> C:\phlip\rails>ruby \ruby\bin\rails c:/phlip/rails
> (in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.8.0)
> rm -rf c:/phlip/rails
> rake aborted!
> Permission denied - c:/phlip/rails
> ../rakefile:42
>
> C:\phlip\rails>
>
> Why is rails, or something, trying to delete the folder I'm trying to build
> a rails website in?
>
> Is there a page on the web about this?
>
> --
> Phlip
> http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

--
Tobi

Shashank Date

Tobias Luetke wrote:
> I made some videos explaining how to set rails up on windows :
>
> http://blog.leetsoft....
>
> enjoy

Awesome ! Thanks a lot ...
-- shanko

Galvanizator Sudor

Why "in his park"? Is he parked?

Ator Tudor

Nomen Nescio

Lorenz Chewa wrote:

>se vede de pe luna

Ca esti prost.
Unde ai disparut?
Mai scrie, because all data...

.... will be deleted exactly as defined.

Chewing Chewa

Lorenz Chua wrote:

>DEFINITIA NU E RDUDANT CI CONSECINTA DIRECTA A VISITEII (LUI GATES
>AICII SI A LUI CLINTON IN AFRICA = VISITA LUI EICHMAN IN PALESTINA SI UN NOU
>PHOENIX IMPLANTAT LUCRU PENTRU CARE SAU DAT ORDINE)

Yeah sure, we know. Smoke on the water. Good golly said li'l miss Molly.

(outdated data shredded)