[ANN] Ruby DocBar 0.1.0 packaged release

James Britt

11/7/2004 1:42:00 AM

First packaged release of the Ruby DocBar code. ruby-docbar 0.1.0 is a
set of scripts and resource files used to create a Mozilla sidebar for
Ruby documentation and reference pages. Ideally, this code makes it
painless to update/edit the sidebar page set.

See also http://www.ruby-doc.org/docbar/to... for an example of
pages built with this code.

Download here:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...

On a side note: There was a request to add the Ruby 1.8.1 C API doxygen
pages to the current Ruby sidebar. I haven't done that, but I believe
that the code in the ruby-docbar project gets you halfway there. The
project includes a script for fetching a page and extracting links; the
example is the C API modules page:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/doxygen/1.8.1/mo...

The awkward part is fixing up the nice indentation. If anyone cares to
take a crack, or has other pages that would fit well in a Ruby sidebar,
let me know. I can add them as resource files to the project. See the
project docs for file format details.

And to clarify: there is a sidebar hosted at ruby-doc.org
http://www.ruby-doc.org/doxygen/1.8.1/mo...

I will likely not add much to what it is right now, expect perhaps to
add C API pages. Maybe. It can get cluttered. The main goal of the
ruby-docbar project is to help people assemble their own sidebars as
they see fit. Maybe there is someone way to host a single,
publicly-accessible set that each user can locally configure, but this
isn't it.

But having numerous resource files in the project means you get a better
choice of what to include in your personal version.

Anyway, I hope this is handy.

James Britt
ruby-doc.org