Re: [QUIZ] GEDCOM Parser (#6

Jamis Buck

11/6/2004 12:05:00 AM

Hans Fugal wrote:

> But the way I read the quiz we didn't have to emit a certain kind of
> XML, we just had to emit sensible XML. Certainly Jamis didn't give
> enough data to fully specify the XML output, as you will see if you pull
> up the GEDCOM spec and ponder the many subtleties therein (as I see some
> of you may have begun to do).

Very true. As long as what your program emits is sensible and accurately
represents the data that was input, it is acceptable. In fact, Florian
Gross just mentioned that his will even output YAML. :) Most of the fun
(for me, anyway) was just getting something that would read GEDCOM. The
rest was icing, as they say.

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3@email.byu.edu

8 Answers

James Britt

Jamis Buck wrote:

> Hans Fugal wrote:
>
>> But the way I read the quiz we didn't have to emit a certain kind of
>> XML, we just had to emit sensible XML. Certainly Jamis didn't give
>> enough data to fully specify the XML output, as you will see if you
>> pull up the GEDCOM spec and ponder the many subtleties therein (as I
>> see some of you may have begun to do).
>

> Very true. As long as what your program emits is sensible and accurately
> represents the data that was input, it is acceptable. In fact, Florian
> Gross just mentioned that his will even output YAML. :)

I was thinking that, were I to try this, I would likely first read the
data and create an internal object format, them serialize that object as
XML. And, given an object, one could have alternate serialization
formats, including GEDCOM, YAML, CSV, ANS.1, and so on.

An SVG rendering might be nice.

James

Hans Fugal

James Britt wrote:

> An SVG rendering might be nice.

Yes, and fun! http://www.fugal.net/fh/hans_pe...

Dave Burt

"Hans Fugal" <fugalh@xmission.com> wrote in message
> James Britt wrote:
>
>> An SVG rendering might be nice.
>
> Yes, and fun! http://www.fugal.net/fh/hans_pe...

Hello:
<pedigree:individual id="pedigree_AN1"
xmlns:pedigree="http://rivit.cs.byu.edu/svgpedigree...

Is an XSD or other doctype spec available?

Hans Fugal

Dave Burt wrote:
> "Hans Fugal" <fugalh@xmission.com> wrote in message
>
>>James Britt wrote:
>>

>>>An SVG rendering might be nice.
>>
>>Yes, and fun! http://www.fugal.net/fh/hans_pe...
>

> Hello:
> <pedigree:individual id="pedigree_AN1"
> xmlns:pedigree="http://rivit.cs.byu.edu/svgpedigree...
>
> Is an XSD or other doctype spec available?

No, I'm afraid not. I don't even have the code that generates this
anymore; I wrote it when working as a research assistant in that lab and
didn't take it with me, and I think they backed out and went another
direction (postscript or pdf, I think).

> Dave Burt wrote:
>> "Hans Fugal" <fugalh@xmission.com> wrote in message

>>>Yes, and fun! http://www.fugal.net/fh/hans_pe...
>>

>> Hello:
>> <pedigree:individual id="pedigree_AN1"
>> xmlns:pedigree="http://rivit.cs.byu.edu/svgpedigree...
>>
>> Is an XSD or other doctype spec available?
>
> No, I'm afraid not. I don't even have the code that generates this
> anymore; I wrote it when working as a research assistant in that lab and
> didn't take it with me, and I think they backed out and went another
> direction (postscript or pdf, I think).

Is this something you would find useful? Jamis? Others?

My solution so far is not going to be useful (it doesn't grok, it just
rewrites bits), but I'm sure a lot of useful thought is going into this for
the quiz.

Quiz -> Rubyforge? I suppose we have to wait until some answers are
submitted first :)

Cheers,
Dave

Hans Fugal

Dave Burt wrote:
> Is this something you would find useful? Jamis? Others?

Jamis actually wrote a GEDCOM parser once, which you can find online. He
recently rewrote it in response to some questions I had about it (and/or
my prodding?), and he's talked about putting it on rubyforge. It's quite
slick, much slicker than his original one if you've seen it. It's
callback-based, and doesn't do any validation at this point. I've
tinkered along the road to making a validating parser based on his that
produces a populated object model (a la DOM) but it's quite a bit more
work than just parsing. That would also be useful though, so if working
on this kind of thing is interesting to you I say let's collaborate.

I for one am interested in generating interesting wall charts, e.g.
GEDCOM->SVG->PostScript.

Dave Burt

"Hans Fugal" <fugalh@xmission.com> wrote...
> Jamis actually wrote a GEDCOM parser once, which you can find online. He
> recently rewrote it in response to some questions I had about it (and/or
> my prodding?), and he's talked about putting it on rubyforge. It's quite
> slick, much slicker than his original one if you've seen it. It's
> callback-based, and doesn't do any validation at this point. I've tinkered
> along the road to making a validating parser based on his that produces a
> populated object model (a la DOM) but it's quite a bit more work than just
> parsing. That would also be useful though, so if working on this kind of
> thing is interesting to you I say let's collaborate.

Sounds slightly interesting.

> I for one am interested in generating interesting wall charts, e.g.
> GEDCOM->SVG->PostScript.

Sounds a lot more useful.
I'm not sure how I can be useful to the project, though.

WanChonRen

Year of the pig had long gone, this is year of the bull!
It should be breaking the Bull Bank.