Re: [QUIZ] GEDCOM Parser (#6

Jamis Buck

11/5/2004 6:41:00 PM

Jim Menard wrote:
> Jamis Buck wrote:
>
>> Jim Menard wrote:
>>
>>> 1) There are some records near the end of the data like this:
>>>
>>> 0 @F46@ F100 24709 100 24709 0 0 18316 0 0:00:01
>>> 0:00:01 0:00:00 21636100 24709 100 24709 0 0 18316 0
>>> 0:00:01 0:00:01 0:00:00 21636
>>>
>>> It has an ID, but the data value is definitely NOT a legal XML tag
>>> name. What does the Ruby Quiz spec have to say about that?
>>

>> I can only assume this got garbled in transmission, because I can't
>> make heads or tails out of it. :( I certainly can't find anything in
>> the royal.ged file that looks like that. Can you please clarify?
>

> Around 16 lines from the bottom of the file, I see that line. There is
> one embedded ^M, telling me that the line endings have been screwed up
> somewhere. (I used curl to retrieve the file to a Windows box. Emacs
> says the line endings are Unix, but every line has a ^M at the end.)

Hmmm. I see the "0 @F46@", but after that it is completely different.
Here's the tail of what I have:

0 @F46@ FAM
1 WIFE @I46@

0 @F47@ FAM
1 CHIL @I31@
1 SOUR @S1@
2 PAGE 1

0 @S1@ SOUR
1 TEXT Hello

0 TRLR

I can only imagine that something went terribly wrong when you
downloaded the file. :(

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3@email.byu.edu

1 Answer

Jim Menard

Jamis Buck wrote:

> I can only imagine that something went terribly wrong when you
> downloaded the file. :(

I figured it out: it's from curl. To download the file, I did

curl http://whatever >royal.ged

Curl's output got mixed in with the file. (There was a curl line at the top
that I had stripped out manually; that should have clued me in.) When I use
the -o flag instead, like this:

curl -o royal.ged http://whatever

then I don't see any cruft in the file and the line endings are fine.

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm@io.com, http://www.io...