Mobile Ruby

brian.yamabe

11/5/2004 4:24:00 PM

First, I'm not talking about Ruby on mobile devices. I'm talking
about being able to program in Ruby from anywhere. As a developer
I've always been resigned to the fact that I'd be tied to a specific
machine (laptop or desktop). I couldn't just go off and borrow
someone elses computer to do some development without installing
runtimes, ide's, editors, libraries, etc. Then this morning I
thought, why not? Isn't a wiki just a brain-dead remote source code
repository. Why not execute that repository? Obviously there need to
be some configuration layers added and an editor tailored to
programming, but the basic concept isn't a huge leap.

I'm not the brightest bulb in the draw, so I figure someone must have
thought of this before. Has anyone implemented it? Ruby seems like
an ideal candidate for doing this kind of work.
12 Answers

gabriele renzi

Brian Yamabe ha scritto:

see ruby.ch, it hAS an online interpreter for ruby (1.6 iirc)

David Ross

Brian Yamabe wrote:

>First, I'm not talking about Ruby on mobile devices. I'm talking
>about being able to program in Ruby from anywhere. As a developer
>I've always been resigned to the fact that I'd be tied to a specific
>machine (laptop or desktop). I couldn't just go off and borrow
>someone elses computer to do some development without installing
>runtimes, ide's, editors, libraries, etc. Then this morning I
>thought, why not? Isn't a wiki just a brain-dead remote source code
>repository. Why not execute that repository? Obviously there need to
>be some configuration layers added and an editor tailored to
>programming, but the basic concept isn't a huge leap.
>
>I'm not the brightest bulb in the draw, so I figure someone must have
>thought of this before. Has anyone implemented it? Ruby seems like
>an ideal candidate for doing this kind of work.

hmmm. Does emacs/or vim over ssh not effective in what you want? Its how
I do most developing for side jobs. A wiki which executes code can be
dangerous unless its some type of auth system with _really_ trusted
developers. Maybe this is what you are asking, correct me if I'm wrong.

David Ross
--
Hazzle free packages for Ruby?
RPA is available from http://www.rubyar...

Jim Menard

Brian Yamabe wrote:
> First, I'm not talking about Ruby on mobile devices. I'm talking
> about being able to program in Ruby from anywhere. As a developer
> I've always been resigned to the fact that I'd be tied to a specific
> machine (laptop or desktop). I couldn't just go off and borrow
> someone elses computer to do some development without installing
> runtimes, ide's, editors, libraries, etc. Then this morning I
> thought, why not? Isn't a wiki just a brain-dead remote source code
> repository. Why not execute that repository? Obviously there need to
> be some configuration layers added and an editor tailored to
> programming, but the basic concept isn't a huge leap.
>
> I'm not the brightest bulb in the draw, so I figure someone must have
> thought of this before. Has anyone implemented it? Ruby seems like
> an ideal candidate for doing this kind of work.

How would this be different then opening a SSH/Telnet window to a remote
server and programming there?

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm@io.com, http://www.io...

Zach Dennis

Brian Yamabe wrote:

>First, I'm not talking about Ruby on mobile devices. I'm talking
>about being able to program in Ruby from anywhere. As a developer
>I've always been resigned to the fact that I'd be tied to a specific
>machine (laptop or desktop). I couldn't just go off and borrow
>someone elses computer to do some development without installing
>runtimes, ide's, editors, libraries, etc. Then this morning I
>thought, why not? Isn't a wiki just a brain-dead remote source code
>repository. Why not execute that repository? Obviously there need to
>be some configuration layers added and an editor tailored to
>programming, but the basic concept isn't a huge leap.
>
>I'm not the brightest bulb in the draw, so I figure someone must have
>thought of this before. Has anyone implemented it? Ruby seems like
>an ideal candidate for doing this kind of work.

Perhaps the following is what you're looking for?

http://www.ruby.ch/interpreter/rubyinterpr...

Zach

Luca Pireddu

David Ross wrote:

> Brian Yamabe wrote:
>
>>First, I'm not talking about Ruby on mobile devices. I'm talking
>>about being able to program in Ruby from anywhere. As a developer
>>I've always been resigned to the fact that I'd be tied to a specific
>>machine (laptop or desktop). I couldn't just go off and borrow
>>someone elses computer to do some development without installing
>>runtimes, ide's, editors, libraries, etc. Then this morning I
>>thought, why not? Isn't a wiki just a brain-dead remote source code
>>repository. Why not execute that repository? Obviously there need to
>>be some configuration layers added and an editor tailored to
>>programming, but the basic concept isn't a huge leap.
>>
>>I'm not the brightest bulb in the draw, so I figure someone must have
>>thought of this before. Has anyone implemented it? Ruby seems like
>>an ideal candidate for doing this kind of work.
>>

> hmmm. Does emacs/or vim over ssh not effective in what you want? Its how
> I do most developing for side jobs. A wiki which executes code can be
> dangerous unless its some type of auth system with _really_ trusted
> developers. Maybe this is what you are asking, correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> David Ross

Alternatively, if you like GUI's and don't want to require an X installation
you can try VNC or FreeNX.

Luca

David Ross

Luca Pireddu wrote:

>David Ross wrote:
>

>>Brian Yamabe wrote:
>>

>>>First, I'm not talking about Ruby on mobile devices. I'm talking
>>>about being able to program in Ruby from anywhere. As a developer
>>>I've always been resigned to the fact that I'd be tied to a specific
>>>machine (laptop or desktop). I couldn't just go off and borrow
>>>someone elses computer to do some development without installing
>>>runtimes, ide's, editors, libraries, etc. Then this morning I
>>>thought, why not? Isn't a wiki just a brain-dead remote source code
>>>repository. Why not execute that repository? Obviously there need to
>>>be some configuration layers added and an editor tailored to
>>>programming, but the basic concept isn't a huge leap.
>>>
>>>I'm not the brightest bulb in the draw, so I figure someone must have
>>>thought of this before. Has anyone implemented it? Ruby seems like
>>>an ideal candidate for doing this kind of work.
>>>

>>hmmm. Does emacs/or vim over ssh not effective in what you want? Its how
>>I do most developing for side jobs. A wiki which executes code can be
>>dangerous unless its some type of auth system with _really_ trusted
>>developers. Maybe this is what you are asking, correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>David Ross
>>

>Alternatively, if you like GUI's and don't want to require an X installation
>you can try VNC or FreeNX.
>
>Luca

Every once and a while I try to use VNC for programming, it only works
whie I use the WideStudio GUI creator. While typing my code it can be
really slow and it gets annoying. Bandwidth is not rich where I'm
located at for the reason of commercialized/overpriced bandwidth. Its a
good recommendation for people who have massive ammounts of bandwidth or
a frame from building to building.

David Ross
--
Hazzle free packages for Ruby?
RPA is available from http://www.rubyar...

Florian Gross

Brian Yamabe wrote:

> Isn't a wiki just a brain-dead remote source code
> repository. Why not execute that repository?

IIRC some kind of Perl Wiki has been developed in that way. I think it
hosted its own sources.

Of course a completely open Wiki with anybody able to insert new code
can lead to all kinds of security problems. With some kind of access
restriction layer this would however be quite interesting.

brian.yamabe

These are interesting suggestions, but miss the point. VNC and SSH
need to be installed because not all machines are going to have 'em.
A USB Key or CD works, but requires that they be synched. I
understand that a strong security model would need to be in place, and
that is something the environment would provide.

Here's an example of what I want to do. I'm at my brother-in-laws who
just bought one of Bill Gates' silly $100 internet machine and a cable
modem. He starts messing with his Media Center 2005 PC and leaves me
with the brain dead browser box. Shoot, I need to get some work done,
so I log into my "mobile development" system via https. My project is
an e-commerce site built with Ruby. From this system I can run tests,
edit code, build, and deploy the entire
project. No VNC, no SSH, no USB keys or CDs. If I could work this
way, I wouldn't need to lug a laptop between work and home. I could
do development anywhere I find a browser. Even my mobile phone.

David Ross <dross@code-exec.net> wrote in message news:<418BC284.3060902@code-exec.net>...
> Luca Pireddu wrote:
>
> >David Ross wrote:

> >>hmmm. Does emacs/or vim over ssh not effective in what you want? Its how
> >>I do most developing for side jobs. A wiki which executes code can be
> >>dangerous unless its some type of auth system with _really_ trusted
> >>developers. Maybe this is what you are asking, correct me if I'm wrong.
> >>
> >>David Ross
> >>

> >Alternatively, if you like GUI's and don't want to require an X installation
> >you can try VNC or FreeNX.
> >
> >Luca
> >

> Every once and a while I try to use VNC for programming, it only works
> whie I use the WideStudio GUI creator. While typing my code it can be
> really slow and it gets annoying. Bandwidth is not rich where I'm
> located at for the reason of commercialized/overpriced bandwidth. Its a
> good recommendation for people who have massive ammounts of bandwidth or
> a frame from building to building.
>
> David Ross

RubyTalk@gmail.com

google rubyscript2exe i have been using it and its a wonderful little
file. Only a few draw backs, does not handle graphics sometimes, and
the program must exit.
I hear there is a tar version for linux
Becker

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:43:41 +0900, Brian Yamabe <brian.yamabe@gmail.com> wrote:
> These are interesting suggestions, but miss the point. VNC and SSH
> need to be installed because not all machines are going to have 'em.
> A USB Key or CD works, but requires that they be synched. I
> understand that a strong security model would need to be in place, and
> that is something the environment would provide.
>
> Here's an example of what I want to do. I'm at my brother-in-laws who
> just bought one of Bill Gates' silly $100 internet machine and a cable
> modem. He starts messing with his Media Center 2005 PC and leaves me
> with the brain dead browser box. Shoot, I need to get some work done,
> so I log into my "mobile development" system via https. My project is
> an e-commerce site built with Ruby. From this system I can run tests,
> edit code, build, and deploy the entire
> project. No VNC, no SSH, no USB keys or CDs. If I could work this
> way, I wouldn't need to lug a laptop between work and home. I could
> do development anywhere I find a browser. Even my mobile phone.
>
> David Ross <dross@code-exec.net> wrote in message news:<418BC284.3060902@code-exec.net>...
>

> > Luca Pireddu wrote:

> > >Alternatively, if you like GUI's and don't want to require an X installation
> > >you can try VNC or FreeNX.
> > >
> > >Luca
> > >

> > Every once and a while I try to use VNC for programming, it only works
> > whie I use the WideStudio GUI creator. While typing my code it can be
> > really slow and it gets annoying. Bandwidth is not rich where I'm
> > located at for the reason of commercialized/overpriced bandwidth. Its a
> > good recommendation for people who have massive ammounts of bandwidth or
> > a frame from building to building.
> >
> > David Ross

David Ross

Brian Yamabe wrote:

>These are interesting suggestions, but miss the point. VNC and SSH
>need to be installed because not all machines are going to have 'em.
>A USB Key or CD works, but requires that they be synched. I
>understand that a strong security model would need to be in place, and
>that is something the environment would provide.
>
>Here's an example of what I want to do. I'm at my brother-in-laws who
>just bought one of Bill Gates' silly $100 internet machine and a cable
>modem. He starts messing with his Media Center 2005 PC and leaves me
>with the brain dead browser box. Shoot, I need to get some work done,
>so I log into my "mobile development" system via https. My project is
>an e-commerce site built with Ruby. From this system I can run tests,
>edit code, build, and deploy the entire
>project. No VNC, no SSH, no USB keys or CDs. If I could work this
>way, I wouldn't need to lug a laptop between work and home. I could
>do development anywhere I find a browser. Even my mobile phone.
>
>David Ross <dross@code-exec.net> wrote in message news:<418BC284.3060902@code-exec.net>...
>

>>Luca Pireddu wrote:

>>>Alternatively, if you like GUI's and don't want to require an X installation
>>>you can try VNC or FreeNX.
>>>
>>>Luca
>>>

>>Every once and a while I try to use VNC for programming, it only works
>>whie I use the WideStudio GUI creator. While typing my code it can be
>>really slow and it gets annoying. Bandwidth is not rich where I'm
>>located at for the reason of commercialized/overpriced bandwidth. Its a
>>good recommendation for people who have massive ammounts of bandwidth or
>>a frame from building to building.
>>
>>David Ross

Does the box have java? If so, use a java based ssh client. Unsure, I've
not seen those machines yet.

David Ross