Ruby Application Server?

Stefan Arentz

11/5/2004 10:35:00 AM

IoC containers seem to be the new hype in the ruby world. I count at
least 4 now. All great but just a bare bones container doesn't cut
it. What I am looking for is a simple framework that can:

Run servlets:

I really like webrick. It would be great if this were part of a
larger framework like I am describing here.

Host Web Services:

Is there a way to code a generic object and then drop it in somewhere
to turn it into a SOAP or XML-RPC service?

Run periodic tasks:

To hell with cron, What I need is a solid timer facility that is
integrated in the component model.

S.
4 Answers

gabriele renzi

Stefan Arentz ha scritto:

<snip>
maybe take a look Cerise ?

David Ross

Stefan Arentz wrote:

>IoC containers seem to be the new hype in the ruby world. I count at
>least 4 now. All great but just a bare bones container doesn't cut
>it. What I am looking for is a simple framework that can:
>
>Run servlets:
>
>I really like webrick. It would be great if this were part of a
>larger framework like I am describing here.
>
>Host Web Services:
>
>Is there a way to code a generic object and then drop it in somewhere
>to turn it into a SOAP or XML-RPC service?
>
>Run periodic tasks:
>
>To hell with cron, What I need is a solid timer facility that is
>integrated in the component model.
>

> S.

There is soap4r module. If you need help. Drop me a line if you shoose
to use soap. NaHi, the creator of SOAP4r is also a nice fellow to
contact. Some people on the list are experienced with soap4r, not many
though. What do you plan to create? Oh btw, SOAP4r passed every test
unlike others =]

http://rrr.jin.gr.jp/soap4r?cmd=view;name=Inte...

I usually use the cvs snapshot of what NaHi is working on, even in
production use.
Homepage: http://rrr.jin.g...
Downloads: http://rrr.jin.gr.jp...

David Ross
--
Hazzle free packages for Ruby?
RPA is available from http://www.rubyar...

George Moschovitis

> IoC containers seem to be the new hype in the ruby world. I count at
> ... integrated in the component model.

have a look at Nitro (http://www.rubyforge.com/proj...)
still under heavy development but have a try anyway.

regards,
George

--
www.navel.gr | tel: +30 2106898050 | fax: +30 2106898437

web appliction engine: http://www.nave...
have fun: http://...

Mircea Toma

Stefan Arentz wrote:
> Run servlets:
>
> I really like webrick. It would be great if this were part of a
> larger framework like I am describing here.

Have a look here:
http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pith/example/httpd.rb?rev=1.1&cvsroot=pith&content-type=text/vnd.view...
Webrick and the servlet run as services inside the Pith container.

Mircea