Re: [OT] US Presidential Election

Kujawa, Greg

11/4/2004 7:29:00 PM

This is bitter take. As an American I don't wish for an ineffective 4 years
where over half of the Presidential and Congressional leadership implodes on
itself. That doesn't matter which party would be in control either. I am not
a Bush fanatic by any means but here are the two things that make me cringe
when I hear all of the Bush bashing:

1) It's all about the oil. - If you add up the cost of the Iraqi War it
would've been far cheaper to just pay more for any possible OPEC price
gouging that might have taken place in the future. It's not like we're
getting oil for free after defeating Saddam are we? And the price of crude
oil on the American market has other factors involved that are often
overlooked.

2) Bush lied about things to lead America to war. - He didn't gather the
intelligence himself. The intelligence was a result of a combination of CIA,
British, and UN data gathering. What was presented to him was the same
information that was presented to Congress. The majority of Congress was in
favor of what action was initiated based on the intelligence that was
presented. Looking back at it the intelligence wasn't 100% correct. Or even
50% correct for God's sake. But it's not like Bush knew there were no WMD's,
just went off the handle, and then tried to cover up all of the things that
wound up being true.

Like I said, I am no huge Bush fan but at least I can try to be objective
about things.