Re: Debugger breakpoints work?

Bradley, Todd

11/4/2004 5:05:00 PM

> > Actually, the norm i've experienced is that, if it can't set the
> > breakpoint where you wanted it, it either tells you it
> couldn't set it
> > or tells you that it set it on another line, instead.
>
> Exactly. In my case, I tried to set a break point on a blank
> line. For example, let's say my code was like
> this:
>
> 1: # This is my Ruby code
> 2: foo = 2
> 3:
> 4: bar = 3
>
> I did "b 3" and expected a message back from the debugger
> like "Breakpoint set on line 4." And then when I did "c"
> for continue, I expected execution to stop at line 4.
> But it just blazed on past lines 3 and 4.

OK, so since nobody has spoken up otherwise, let's call
this a bug in the debugger. Since I'm new to Ruby, what's
the protocol for officially reporting bugs? Do the language
maintainers use a Bugzilla somewhere?

Todd.

2 Answers

Curt Hibbs

You can post a bug report on the Ruby project on RubyForge:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?gr...

Curt

craig duncan

Bradley, Todd wrote:

>>>Actually, the norm i've experienced is that, if it can't set the
>>>breakpoint where you wanted it, it either tells you it
>>>

>>couldn't set it
>>

>>>or tells you that it set it on another line, instead.
>>>

>>Exactly. In my case, I tried to set a break point on a blank
>>line. For example, let's say my code was like
>>this:
>>
>>1: # This is my Ruby code
>>2: foo = 2
>>3:
>>4: bar = 3
>>
>>I did "b 3" and expected a message back from the debugger
>>like "Breakpoint set on line 4." And then when I did "c"
>>for continue, I expected execution to stop at line 4.
>>But it just blazed on past lines 3 and 4.
>>

>OK, so since nobody has spoken up otherwise, let's call
>this a bug in the debugger. Since I'm new to Ruby, what's
>the protocol for officially reporting bugs? Do the language
>maintainers use a Bugzilla somewhere?
>

>Todd.

What Todd is suggesting, i think, is that the (relatively) minor problem
of not setting the break on the right line or not telling you when it
doesn't set any break be considered a bug. My problem, though, is that
i have no indication that breakpoints work at all. Admittedly (backing
off quite a bit) i haven't tried any little tests separate from my
real-world attempts to do so. But i posted the attempt i made to set a
break on three consecutive lines:

.../active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:

36: ConnectionAdapters::PostgreSQLAdapter.new(
37: PGconn.connect(host, port, "", "", database, username,
password), logger
38: )

and no break ever occurred. I put: $stderr << 'HERE I AM\n' in right
before those lines and saw the output. So, maybe breakpoints _aren't_
completely broken (i don't know). But there certainly seems to be a
problem (bug). I should run little standalone tests to see how
breakpoints work in simpler contexts but my immediate problem is
resolved . . . and the fact would remain . . . no breakpoint (specified
by <file:line_num> worked in my situation. Since the file and
situation i'm referring to is all rails stuff, it would be very easy for
anyone to test the exact scenario i refer to. Just a simple rails
setup (configured to use postgresql), set breakpoints on all the lines
in that region of code, and see why it doesn't work. I'd be happy to
test anything suggested but i don't have any real (time-efficient) ideas
as to how to pursue the issue further myself.