Brian Schroeders chat example on windows

Robert Feldt

11/4/2004 11:47:00 AM

Hi again,

Has anyone been able to run the chat example from Brian Schroeders "A
Ruby a day" course on Windows (latest one-click)? My students say it
does not work (no info is communicated over the socket) while when I run
it on linux it works fine. They say they already tried disabling the
firewall so shouldn't be that... ;)

Anyone run into similar problems?

/Robert

4 Answers

Brian Schröder

Hello Robert,

nice to hear, that you are using the course. In my course there was one person with a windows system, and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text, when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client. cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://www.brian-sch...

gabriele renzi

Brian Schröder ha scritto:
> Hello Robert,
>
> nice to hear, that you are using the course.
> In my course there was one person with a windows system,
> and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text,
> when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client.
> cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian

isn't this an example of the know threading issues on windows?
(basically, IO on non-sockets objects like the console is blocking).

Robert Feldt

gabriele renzi wrote:

> Brian Schröder ha scritto:
>
>> Hello Robert,
>>
>> nice to hear, that you are using the course.
>
> > In my course there was one person with a windows system,
> > and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text,
> > when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client.
> > cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Brian
>

> isn't this an example of the know threading issues on windows?
> (basically, IO on non-sockets objects like the console is blocking).

Yep, that's it. Thanks to both of you for your answer.

Brian: Yes, I used parts I and III of your slides and provided pointers
to some other parts. Great material. I will send an url to this list
when I've cleaned up the info I used.

Thanks,

Robert

Mark Hubbart

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:33:44 +0900, gabriele renzi
<rff_rff@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> Brian Schröder ha scritto:
>

> > Hello Robert,
> >
> > nice to hear, that you are using the course.
> > In my course there was one person with a windows system,
> > and his problem was, that the console only drew the received text,
> > when he hit return. So not usable as a chat client.
> > cmd seems to cache printed text while it is reading with gets.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Brian
>
> isn't this an example of the know threading issues on windows?
> (basically, IO on non-sockets objects like the console is blocking).

This may be a dumb question, but if it's blocking IO that's the
problem, wouldn't IO#readpartial work, since it always returns
immediately?

hth,
Mark