[ANN] Ruby Package for MacOS X

Mark Hubbart

11/4/2004 1:03:00 AM

Hi all,
I just packaged up today's stable snapshot of Ruby for your MacOS X
installing pleasure. This installer package includes:
- Ruby Stable Snapshot 1.8.2 (2004.11.03)
- Oniguruma built in
- GNU Readline 5.0 (default, but optional)
- RI documentation

Also included in the disk image, you will find all the sample code
that comes with the source download.

You can find the dmg available for download from here:

http://homepage.mac.com/dis...

Note: I wasn't able to get Tk support working right now. It doesn't
work in the MacOS X default installation either, though, so I guess
that's not a terribly big issue... But I'll keep working on it. I
decided to release now because my last release was old and crusty, and
I didn't want to procrastinate any longer :)

cheers,
Mark

10 Answers

Mark Hubbart

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:02:27 -0800, Mark Hubbart <discordantus@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can find the dmg available for download from here:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/dis...

Hmmm... There may be some technical difficulties going on here. The
file might have been corrupted when I uploaded it; and now I can't
access my web space. :/ I'll fix this up as soon as I can.

Mark

Mark Hubbart

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:02:39 -0800, Mark Hubbart <discordantus@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:02:27 -0800, Mark Hubbart <discordantus@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You can find the dmg available for download from here:
> >
> > http://homepage.mac.com/dis...
>
> Hmmm... There may be some technical difficulties going on here. The
> file might have been corrupted when I uploaded it; and now I can't
> access my web space. :/ I'll fix this up as soon as I can.

Yup, it was corrupted. I re-uploaded it, downloaded it and tested it;
it works properly now.

cheers,
Mark

kjell olsen

I get this instead of a disk image:

"We're sorry, but we can't find the HomePage you've requested. It's
possible that:"

blah, blah, blah

Is this the right url?
http://homepage.mac.com/discord/.Public/Ruby_1.8_In... It's
what's linked from http://homepage.mac.com/dis..., and the main
page works fine, but I can't download the package.

On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:09 PM, Mark Hubbart wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:02:39 -0800, Mark Hubbart
> <discordantus@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:02:27 -0800, Mark Hubbart
>> <discordantus@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You can find the dmg available for download from here:
>>>
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/dis...
>>
>> Hmmm... There may be some technical difficulties going on here. The
>> file might have been corrupted when I uploaded it; and now I can't
>> access my web space. :/ I'll fix this up as soon as I can.
>
> Yup, it was corrupted. I re-uploaded it, downloaded it and tested it;
> it works properly now.
>
> cheers,
> Mark

Sam Roberts

Hi Mark,

Cool that you did this, but I'd like to make a request...

What I think would be really, really useful, more than the dmg itself,
is if you posted the steps you used to build the .dmg, so that anybody
could remake it.

Maybe you could do a write up on

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyO...

Is the process automatable? If so, perhaps I (or somebody) could
set something up to have nightly/weekly ruby snapshots built into
dmgs, and the various stable versions archived.

Speaking of which, are there nightly builds/tests of ruby done anywhere?
I've a farm of build machines at work (many dozens of OS versions and
architectures). They might let me set up daily builds for ruby, if the
tests don't take up too much cpu time.

One reason that it would be nice to know how to make these, is I don't
want the choice of which ruby to be based on the path, I use the

--program-transform-name=PROGRAM

option to ruby's configure to add a suffix to all the installed ruby
executables, so irb18 is from ruby 1.8, etc.

Cheers,
Sam

Quoteing discordantus@gmail.com, on Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:02:33AM +0900:
> Hi all,
> I just packaged up today's stable snapshot of Ruby for your MacOS X
> installing pleasure. This installer package includes:
> - Ruby Stable Snapshot 1.8.2 (2004.11.03)
> - Oniguruma built in
> - GNU Readline 5.0 (default, but optional)
> - RI documentation
>
> Also included in the disk image, you will find all the sample code
> that comes with the source download.
>
> You can find the dmg available for download from here:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/dis...
>
> Note: I wasn't able to get Tk support working right now. It doesn't
> work in the MacOS X default installation either, though, so I guess
> that's not a terribly big issue... But I'll keep working on it. I
> decided to release now because my last release was old and crusty, and
> I didn't want to procrastinate any longer :)
>
> cheers,
> Mark

Mark Hubbart

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 22:44:27 +0900, kjell olsen <kjellolsen@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I get this instead of a disk image:
>
> "We're sorry, but we can't find the HomePage you've requested. It's
> possible that:"
>
> blah, blah, blah
>
> Is this the right url?
> http://homepage.mac.com/discord/.Public/Ruby_1.8_In... It's
> what's linked from http://homepage.mac.com/dis..., and the main
> page works fine, but I can't download the package.

The download url changed; I reflected the changes on the web page,
perhaps you are looking at a cached version? Anyway, here's the direct
download link:

http://homepage.mac.com/dis...Ruby_1.8.2_Stable.dmg

I was having technical difficulties, and it was easier (ie, faster) to
stash it in a new spot and edit the web page... Sorry bout that.

cheers,
Mark

> On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:09 PM, Mark Hubbart wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:02:39 -0800, Mark Hubbart
> > <discordantus@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hmmm... There may be some technical difficulties going on here. The
> >> file might have been corrupted when I uploaded it; and now I can't
> >> access my web space. :/ I'll fix this up as soon as I can.
> >
> > Yup, it was corrupted. I re-uploaded it, downloaded it and tested it;
> > it works properly now.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Mark

Mark Hubbart

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:26:39 -0500, Sam Roberts <sroberts@uniserve.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Cool that you did this, but I'd like to make a request...
>
> What I think would be really, really useful, more than the dmg itself,
> is if you posted the steps you used to build the .dmg, so that anybody
> could remake it.
>
> Maybe you could do a write up on
>
> http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyO...
>
> Is the process automatable? If so, perhaps I (or somebody) could
> set something up to have nightly/weekly ruby snapshots built into
> dmgs, and the various stable versions archived.

Last time I posted a package, it wasn't automated at all, and someone
asked the same question... Well, now my process is partially
automated; downloading, building, and sorting of the installed files
is automated, packaging is not. Packaging is the most important part
for automation, afaic. I need to research making packages via non-gui
tools, which may or may not be fairly complicated. I'll have to see.

Sticking the products in a disk image could be automated easily;
unless you want to design how it will be presented in the Finder, with
background images, icon placement, etc. That would be more involved.

I'm a bit afraid to invest too much time working on this; the
OneClickInstaller project seems to be moving ahead on the mac
platform, and it will definitely supersede my efforts :) So, at the
moment, I haven't been working much on this project. If you want, I
could clean up the code a bit and post it somewhere, but it's really
pretty simple at this point.

> Speaking of which, are there nightly builds/tests of ruby done anywhere?
> I've a farm of build machines at work (many dozens of OS versions and
> architectures). They might let me set up daily builds for ruby, if the
> tests don't take up too much cpu time.
>
> One reason that it would be nice to know how to make these, is I don't
> want the choice of which ruby to be based on the path, I use the
>
> --program-transform-name=PROGRAM
>
> option to ruby's configure to add a suffix to all the installed ruby
> executables, so irb18 is from ruby 1.8, etc.

I'd like that myself... is it possible, then, to have both ruby 1.9
and ruby 1.8 installed in the same prefix? I haven't looked into this
much (okay, not at all)

cheers,
Mark

Sam Roberts

Quoteing discordantus@gmail.com, on Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 04:09:31AM +0900:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:26:39 -0500, Sam Roberts <sroberts@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > One reason that it would be nice to know how to make these, is I don't
> > want the choice of which ruby to be based on the path, I use the
> >
> > --program-transform-name=PROGRAM
> >
> > option to ruby's configure to add a suffix to all the installed ruby
> > executables, so irb18 is from ruby 1.8, etc.
>
> I'd like that myself... is it possible, then, to have both ruby 1.9
> and ruby 1.8 installed in the same prefix? I haven't looked into this
> much (okay, not at all)

Yes, AFAIK.

Sam

Alexander Kellett

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:02:33AM +0900, Mark Hubbart wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just packaged up today's stable snapshot of Ruby for your MacOS X
> installing pleasure. This installer package includes:
> - Ruby Stable Snapshot 1.8.2 (2004.11.03)
> - Oniguruma built in
> - GNU Readline 5.0 (default, but optional)
> - RI documentation

works excellently!! thank you!!!

Alex (three day old mac os x user)

Curne) Simon Conrad-Armes

On Nov 4, 2004, at 8:09 PM, Mark Hubbart wrote:

> [snip]

> Last time I posted a package, it wasn't automated at all, and someone
> asked the same question... Well, now my process is partially
> automated; downloading, building, and sorting of the installed files
> is automated, packaging is not. Packaging is the most important part
> for automation, afaic. I need to research making packages via non-gui
> tools, which may or may not be fairly complicated. I'll have to see.

Not complicated at all. PackageMaker can be called from the command
line. I have a Ruby program that does it, but it only works under 1.8
:-)

$
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/PackageMaker.app/Contents/MacOS/
PackageMaker -help

** PackageMaker help **
* no args, will launch gui version
PackageMaker -build -p <destination pkg path> -f <root dir> -r
<resources dir> -i <info filepath> -d <description file path>
* See "Developer Tools: Software Distribution" documentation for a
detailed explanation of package creation, format, modification, and
use.

/Curne

Michal Suchanek

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 05:26:11AM +0900, Sam Roberts wrote:
> Quoteing discordantus@gmail.com, on Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 04:09:31AM +0900:
> > On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:26:39 -0500, Sam Roberts <sroberts@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > > One reason that it would be nice to know how to make these, is I don't
> > > want the choice of which ruby to be based on the path, I use the
> > >
> > > --program-transform-name=PROGRAM
> > >
> > > option to ruby's configure to add a suffix to all the installed ruby
> > > executables, so irb18 is from ruby 1.8, etc.
> >
> > I'd like that myself... is it possible, then, to have both ruby 1.9
> > and ruby 1.8 installed in the same prefix? I haven't looked into this
> > much (okay, not at all)
>
> Yes, AFAIK.

yes, that is how ruby is installed in fink. But it is 1.6 and 1.8.

Michal Suchanek