irb problems

kjell olsen

11/3/2004 9:14:00 PM

I was wondering if anyone could help me troubleshoot a problem I've
been having with irb, it won't run for me. I'm using Mac OS X 10.3.5
default ruby install and when I try to run irb from the terminal I get
this:

[kjell@imac:~] % irb
dyld: ruby can't open library: /supp/lib/libreadline.4.3.dylib (No
such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap
[kjell@imac:~] % ruby -v
ruby 1.8.1 (2004-03-15) [powerpc-darwin]

I did a little system cleaning: permissions, prebindings, and disk
repair, but it still won't work and I'm out of ideas. Thanks for any
help!

3 Answers

Mark Hubbart

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 06:13:32 +0900, kjell olsen <kjellolsen@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could help me troubleshoot a problem I've
> been having with irb, it won't run for me. I'm using Mac OS X 10.3.5
> default ruby install and when I try to run irb from the terminal I get
> this:
>
> [kjell@imac:~] % irb
> dyld: ruby can't open library: /supp/lib/libreadline.4.3.dylib (No
> such file or directory, errno = 2)
> Trace/BPT trap
> [kjell@imac:~] % ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.1 (2004-03-15) [powerpc-darwin]
>
> I did a little system cleaning: permissions, prebindings, and disk
> repair, but it still won't work and I'm out of ideas. Thanks for any
> help!

I suspect that you aren't using the pre-installed version; I think you
are using the old installer package that I posted to a site of mine.
*cringes* In the time that followed, I got reports back that most
people's systems didn't have readline installed, so the readline
support didn't work. There was a fix suggested, somewhere back in the
archives, but I got busy and never got around to fixing the package.

Well, I just posted a new package, using today's stable snapshot, and
readline should work nicely, since I included/built against the latest
gnu readline libs. Try installing it, and see if that takes care of
it.

cheers,
Mark

}:-\)[o[

> C'est juste que l'ind?pendance, je ne la ferais pas avec cette bande de
> minus. Remarque qu'avec le PQ ou QS non plus.

c'est pas pantoute ce que ton message dit. Tu savais tout simplement pas,
comme bien des ad?quiste. Bande d'ignorants.

Blink003

"}:-)[o[" <moi@invalidaddress.ccp> a ?crit dans le message de news:
h8j7sc$bqe$1@news.eternal-september.org...

>> C'est juste que l'ind?pendance, je ne la ferais pas avec cette bande de
>> minus. Remarque qu'avec le PQ ou QS non plus.
>
> c'est pas pantoute ce que ton message dit. Tu savais tout simplement pas,
> comme bien des ad?quiste. Bande d'ignorants.

Que oui ! Cette fois l? on avait passer pr?s de faire lind?pendance
unilat?ralement avec Bourassa, mais il a chi? dans sa culotte ? la derni?re
minute. Bon, tu interpr?te mon message comme tu veux hein.