nihal

6/5/2002 9:13:00 PM

I wanna ask if the code generated by the MMIT (by rendering the mobile
server controls) differs according to the device type, means a PDA gets
cHTML or whatever I don't remember an cell phones receive a WML version
only,
or is it browser specific or model specific , means an Ericsson with a
specific browser gets WML tags that differ from the one received by e.g. a
Nokia using another browser?

1 Answer

(Frank Delia)

The markup sent to a particular device depends upon the specific version of
browser that exists on that device. With WML browsers, the version often
varies slightly from one manufacturer to the next, and varies for different
models from the same manufacturer.

MMIT uses the "user agent string" that is submitted as part of the http
request to determine which browser is in use on the device.

In general, PDA browsers accept markup in HTML or cHTML, and phones in
cHTML or WML. However, with the new smart phones, these distinctions are
going away -- there are no hard and fast rules.

- Frank