[ANN] Ruby on Rails presentation added to the WhyRuby repository

Curt Hibbs

10/30/2004 6:46:00 AM

I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned Java developers,
and was very well received!

You can download the presentation here:

http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...

Curt

12 Answers

Dave Burt

Curt Hibbs> http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...

That's an awesome presentation, Curt. Well done!

Cheers,
Dave

Mauricio Fernández

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 03:45:57PM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
> This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned Java developers,
> and was very well received!
>
> You can download the presentation here:
>
> http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...

Slightly embarrassing typo on page 10:
s/Bjarn Stroustrap/Bjarne Stroustrup/

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Mauricio Fernández

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 03:45:57PM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
> This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned Java developers,
> and was very well received!
>
> You can download the presentation here:
>
> http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...

I hope you don't mind another minor suggestion:
the following on p.45 looks weird:

"The default number of code lines for an action in Basecamp is 5"

sounds as if there were some kind of default implementation for actions
or something like that... I'd rather write "The *average* number..."
(assuming that was the intended meaning).

It's a great presentation overall, we can't let these minor points stain
it :)

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Dave Burt

Mauricio Fernández> (error corrections)
Mauricio Fernández> It's a great presentation overall,
Mauricio Fernández> we can't let these minor points stain it :)

The stains add character, a laugh, and show the presenter's human too :)
I enjoyed the End with a capital E in one of the code snippets.
(I'm not against fixing though)

Curt Hibbs

Mauricio Fernández wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 03:45:57PM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
> > This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned
> Java developers,
> > and was very well received!
> >
> > You can download the presentation here:
> >
> > http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...
>
> Slightly embarrassing typo on page 10:
> s/Bjarn Stroustrap/Bjarne Stroustrup/

Thanks, I'll fix that.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Mauricio Fernández wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 03:45:57PM +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > I just added my presentation of Ruby on Rails to the WhyRuby repository.
> > This presentation was given to a group of about 25 seasoned
> Java developers,
> > and was very well received!
> >
> > You can download the presentation here:
> >
> > http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...
>
> I hope you don't mind another minor suggestion:
> the following on p.45 looks weird:
>
> "The default number of code lines for an action in Basecamp is 5"
>
> sounds as if there were some kind of default implementation for actions
> or something like that... I'd rather write "The *average* number..."
> (assuming that was the intended meaning).

Thanks again -- I actually meant to say "default". I'll fix this, too.

> It's a great presentation overall, we can't let these minor points stain
> it :)

I'll gladly accept suggestions for approval in addition to corrections.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Dave Burt wrote:

> Mauricio Fernández> (error corrections)
> Mauricio Fernández> It's a great presentation overall,
> Mauricio Fernández> we can't let these minor points stain it :)
>
> The stains add character, a laugh, and show the presenter's human too :)
> I enjoyed the End with a capital E in one of the code snippets.
> (I'm not against fixing though)

I'll fix it.

Curt

PS
I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a big laugh.
When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally introduced it as
"Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with jokes that that on purpose!
:-)

James Britt

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> PS
> I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a big laugh.
> When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally introduced it as
> "Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with jokes that that on purpose!

Sluts? That's been a project of mine for a while now.

(pause)

I'm kidding. Really.

James

T. Onoma

On Saturday 30 October 2004 12:10 pm, James Britt wrote:
| Curt Hibbs wrote:
| > PS
| > I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a big
| > laugh. When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally
| > introduced it as "Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with jokes
| > that that on purpose!
|
| Sluts? That's been a project of mine for a while now.

Unfortunately sluts do not program in Ruby. On the other hand, if they did
they'd be mad right now ;)

T.

Francis Hwang

On Oct 30, 2004, at 1:13 PM, trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:

> On Saturday 30 October 2004 12:10 pm, James Britt wrote:
> | Curt Hibbs wrote:
> | > PS
> | > I made one humorous slip-up during the presentation that got a
> big
> | > laugh. When I got the to "Rails vs. Struts" part, I accidentally
> | > introduced it as "Rails vs. Sluts". If only I could come up with
> jokes
> | > that that on purpose!
> |
> | Sluts? That's been a project of mine for a while now.
>
> Unfortunately sluts do not program in Ruby.

Hey, speak for yourself, T.

Francis