Re: From a Ruby Script, How to automatically login to www.netflix.com

Bradley, Todd

10/29/2004 4:13:00 PM

Victor Reyes asked:

And I wrote back:

> > You've got a couple options, either interacting
> > with the HTTP stream
> > directly or interacting with a web browser.

Interacting with the HTTP stream directly may turn
out to be easier and more reliable. Look into the
open-uri library, documented here:

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/open...

I rewrote my little web querier program (similar
to what you're trying to do) to use open-uri
instead of IeController, and it runs about
5 times faster and is more reliable (not to mention
being cross-platform).

Let me know if you want to borrow (and hopefully
improve upon) my code. You're trying to interact
with NetFlix, and I'm trying to interact with a
white pages phone lookup website, which are very
similar problems.

You'll also want to look into HTMLTokenizer, to
help you parse the stuff NetFlix sends back:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/html...

Todd.