Otis Mukinfus

6/3/2002 12:35:00 PM

I have my web.config file tracing settings set as shown below. When
running my application no trace.axd file is produced. What could be
causing this behavior?

<trace
enabled="true"
requestLimit="10"
pageOutput="false"
traceMode="SortByTime"
localOnly="true"
/>

Otis M.
http://www....
http://www.otismu...
5 Answers

(Andres Sanabria)

Otis Mukinfus

On Mon, 03 Jun 2002 23:55:41 GMT, AndresSONLINE@Microsoft.com (Andres
Sanabria) wrote:

>You need to browse the site, http://myServer/myVirtualDirectory/Trace.axd.
>
>AndresS

>You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
>reserved.

Please read my original post carefully...

It says that the trace file "IS NOT BEING PRODUCED".

I know where the trace file is supposed to be and I know how to browse
for it. Browsing for a file that does not exist does not work.

Can you help me determine why the file IS NOT BEING CREATED in the
application directory http://localhost/MyNETApplication ?

Am I missing something here? Does the file go away when the session
ends?
Otis M.
http://www....
http://www.otismu...

(Andres Sanabria)

It will not be created.....

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 16:59:45 GMT, AndresSONLINE@Microsoft.com (Andres
Sanabria) wrote:

>It will not be created.....
>
>AndresS

>You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
>reserved.

AndresS,

I found out how it works from a non MS source.

None of your answers were helpful. You could have explained to me how
it works and I would have understood.

Here is a copy of the answer that got me on the right track:

Trace.axd
Trace.axd is an Http Handler. An Http Handler is a coding option that
allows us to handle request/responses at the most basic level. Http
Handlers are the equivalent of ISAPI extensions. However, unlike
ISAPI, they can be authored using any .NET language.

Trace.axd is an Http Handler that we can use to request application
trace details. When requested, we will be given a trace log of the
last n requests; n is determined by the value set by
requestlimit="[int]" in our configuration file.

Sometimes you have to say more than give a URL or say "It will not be
created.....".

Have a nice day...

Otis M.
http://www....
http://www.otismu...

(Andres Sanabria)

I am glad that you find the answer that you were looking for