pocketPC compatibility : best choice ?

Michael M.

5/16/2002 6:01:00 PM

For a PocketPC, we can make a webform or a mobile form.

The mobile form seems very crappy and limited to WAP (to
me).
The classic webforms seems well, if we rework them a
little to find the small screen of PocketPC, but i wonder
whether there would be compatibility issues with old
pocketPC or complex web controls. So is it viable ?

What is your opinion about that choice ?

1 Answer

Michael Pose

I am kind of in the same situation.
The mobile forms don't support a grid for example, so you
can display tables. PocketIE does support tables and a lot
more things.
But when you use regular webforms and you have
"EnableViewState=true" for your controls, then you will get soon
error in PocketIE since ASP.Net stores the viewstate in hidden
input controls which PocketIE cannot handle (or at least only
wiht limited amounts of data).
What I ended up doing is to overrride the
SavePageStateToPersistenceMedium( object viewState )

LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()

methods to save the viewstate on the server. That helped a lot and now
I can use ASP.NET and regular webforms and datagrids etc.
on the PocketPC successfully.

Let me know if you need more information. Remove
_NOSPAM_ from my email address.

HTH,
Mike

michaelp@_NOSPAM_fastmail.fm