dev-utils breakpoint

Michael Neumann

When I want to return from an irb session caused by a breakpoint, and
use "exit", this exits the complete application. And debug_return is not
defined (as described in the documentation).

require 'dev-utils/debug'
p "a"
breakpoint
p "b"

This only prints "a".

The only working way is to use trow :debug_return.

I am using dev-utils (1.0.1-1) from rpa and ruby-1.8.2.

Regards,

Michael

6 Answers

Mauricio Fernández

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 06:13:14AM +0900, Michael Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I want to return from an irb session caused by a breakpoint, and
> use "exit", this exits the complete application. And debug_return is not
> defined (as described in the documentation).
>
> require 'dev-utils/debug'
> p "a"
> breakpoint
> p "b"
>
> This only prints "a".
>
> The only working way is to use trow :debug_return.
>
> I am using dev-utils (1.0.1-1) from rpa and ruby-1.8.2.

You have to use ^d; as documented at
http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/Debuggin.... It will consider
adding that documentation to the RPA port.

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

Joel VanderWerf

Mauricio Fernández wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 06:13:14AM +0900, Michael Neumann wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>When I want to return from an irb session caused by a breakpoint, and
>>use "exit", this exits the complete application. And debug_return is not
>>defined (as described in the documentation).
>>
>> require 'dev-utils/debug'
>> p "a"
>> breakpoint
>> p "b"
>>
>>This only prints "a".
>>
>>The only working way is to use trow :debug_return.
>>
>>I am using dev-utils (1.0.1-1) from rpa and ruby-1.8.2.
>

> You have to use ^d; as documented at
> http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/Debuggin.... It will consider
> adding that documentation to the RPA port.

And on windows it's ^z, IIRC.

Gavin Sinclair

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 9:18:25 AM, Mauricio wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 06:13:14AM +0900, Michael Neumann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I want to return from an irb session caused by a breakpoint, and
>> use "exit", this exits the complete application. And debug_return is not
>> defined (as described in the documentation).
>>
>> require 'dev-utils/debug'
>> p "a"
>> breakpoint
>> p "b"
>>
>> This only prints "a".
>>
>> The only working way is to use trow :debug_return.
>>
>> I am using dev-utils (1.0.1-1) from rpa and ruby-1.8.2.

> You have to use ^d; as documented at
> http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/Debuggin.... It will consider
> adding that documentation to the RPA port.

Michael, is there any way I can make that documentation clearer? Is
there any alterantive functionality you suggest? What about somehow
forcing 'exit' to only exit IRB? (Then 'exit!' could quit
altogether.)

Mauricio, I thought the doc was included in the RPA port already,
hence the redcloth and cstemplate build dependencies. I'm not
complaining, just curious.

Cheers,
Gavin

Michael Neumann

10/27/2004

0

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:42:05AM +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 9:18:25 AM, Mauricio wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 06:13:14AM +0900, Michael Neumann wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When I want to return from an irb session caused by a breakpoint, and
> >> use "exit", this exits the complete application. And debug_return is not
> >> defined (as described in the documentation).
> >>
> >> require 'dev-utils/debug'
> >> p "a"
> >> breakpoint
> >> p "b"
> >>
> >> This only prints "a".
> >>
> >> The only working way is to use trow :debug_return.
> >>
> >> I am using dev-utils (1.0.1-1) from rpa and ruby-1.8.2.
>
> > You have to use ^d; as documented at
> > http://dev-utils.ruby...Debuggin.... It will consider
> > adding that documentation to the RPA port.
>
> Michael, is there any way I can make that documentation clearer? Is
> there any alterantive functionality you suggest? What about somehow
> forcing 'exit' to only exit IRB? (Then 'exit!' could quit
> altogether.)

No the documentation is great, really!

Maybe you could put a comment (how to exit from an irb session) next to
the breakpoint example of the start page: http://dev-utils.ruby...
I looked there before I found the much longer DebuggingAids.html page.

Hm, I think the "exit" behaviour as it is currently, is okay. Maybe a
"help" method would help? (prints infos about "iv, lv and ^D").

Thanks to all.

Regards,

Michael

Mauricio Fernández

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:42:05AM +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> >> I am using dev-utils (1.0.1-1) from rpa and ruby-1.8.2.
>
> > You have to use ^d; as documented at
> > http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/Debuggin.... It will consider
> > adding that documentation to the RPA port.
>
> Michael, is there any way I can make that documentation clearer? Is
> there any alterantive functionality you suggest? What about somehow
> forcing 'exit' to only exit IRB? (Then 'exit!' could quit
> altogether.)
>
> Mauricio, I thought the doc was included in the RPA port already,
> hence the redcloth and cstemplate build dependencies. I'm not
> complaining, just curious.

Oops. They are indeed included. I assumed the docs in the website were
more up-to-date but they seem to be the same.

So, Michael, next time look under $prefix/share/doc/rpa0.0/dev-utils to
find all the documentation :-)

--

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:05:01PM +0900, Mauricio Fernndez wrote:

> > > You have to use ^d; as documented at
> > > http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/Debuggin.... It will consider
> > > adding that documentation to the RPA port.
> >
> > Michael, is there any way I can make that documentation clearer? Is
> > there any alterantive functionality you suggest? What about somehow
> > forcing 'exit' to only exit IRB? (Then 'exit!' could quit
> > altogether.)
> >
> > Mauricio, I thought the doc was included in the RPA port already,
> > hence the redcloth and cstemplate build dependencies. I'm not
> > complaining, just curious.
>
> Oops. They are indeed included. I assumed the docs in the website were
> more up-to-date but they seem to be the same.
>
> So, Michael, next time look under $prefix/share/doc/rpa0.0/dev-utils to
> find all the documentation :-)

Okay will do :). Thanks very much.

Regards,

Michael