Ruby/tk and paned widget question

Nigel Wilkinson

10/19/2004 9:39:00 PM

Hi all

I can create this with

a=TkPanedWindow.new

how do I add childsites, I've tried a.add(left) and thigs like it but can't
find the right one

Cheers
Nigel

4 Answers

Phlip

Nigel Wilkinson wrote:

> I can create this with
>
> a=TkPanedWindow.new
>
> how do I add childsites, I've tried a.add(left) and thigs like it but
can't
> find the right one

Post more complete code. You might be missing a grid() (which is better than
pack()).

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

Nigel Wilkinson

> Post more complete code. You might be missing a grid() (which is better
> than pack()).

OK, here's the panedwindow code

horizsplit = TkPanedWindow.new(parent) {
orient 'vertical'
}
horizsplit.add(left)
horizsplit.add(right)
horizsplit.pack( 'fill' => 'both' )

Its failing saying that

undefined local variable or method `left' for #<MainGUI:0x403949e8>
(NameError)

Thanks
Nigel

Hidetoshi NAGAI

Nigel Wilkinson

--On Wednesday, October 20, 2004 08:02:41 +0900 Hidetoshi NAGAI
<nagai@ai.kyutech.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From: Nigel Wilkinson <nigel@waspz.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Ruby/tk and paned widget question
> Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:35:47 +0900
>> horizsplit = TkPanedWindow.new(parent) {
>> orient 'vertical'
>> }
>
> Do you really want to set "vertical"?
> If "orient" option is "vertical", widgets are stacked vertically
> in the panedwindow.
> The words, "horizsplit", "left" and "right", don't denote "vertical
> stack".
>
>> horizsplit.add(left)
>> horizsplit.add(right)
>> horizsplit.pack( 'fill' => 'both' )
>
> You must give widgets for TkPanedWindow#add.
> For example,
>
> horizsplit = TkPanedWindow.new(parent, :orient=>:horizontal){
> add(TkListbox.new(horizsplit).insert(:end, 'lbox1'))
> add(TkListbox.new(horizsplit).insert(:end, 'lbox2'))
> add(TkListbox.new(horizsplit).insert(:end, 'lbox3'))
>
> pack(:fill=>:both, :expand=>true)
> }
> horizsplit.panes.each_with_index{|lbox, idx| lbox.insert(:end, idx)}
>
> --
> Hidetoshi Nagai (nagai@ai.kyutech.ac.jp)

Thanks for that, it works a treat. Please excuse my elementary ignorance
but I'm trying to teach myself some programing and am new to everything and
trying to piece it together from what documentation there is.

Thanks again
Nigel