Anyone get RDE working on XP

soxinbox

10/19/2004 1:55:00 AM

I am trying to get RDE working with windows XP. I have ruby 1.8.2, and rde
version 0.9.9.0 with 0.9.9.1 patches. The install.rb didn't work, so I had
to do it manually. Now I am getting a "mswin32-ruby16.dll" was not found
error. (Did they hard code the ruby version into the rde code?)
Any suggestions?

7 Answers

RubyTalk@gmail.com

Nope, go to tool -> options and set the ruby path. Does ruby normally work?
I do get
"C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file to load -- debug2 (LoadError)
Completed(1)"
When i hit the play button but the F5 button works :)
Becker

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:59:22 +0900, soxinbox <faker@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get RDE working with windows XP. I have ruby 1.8.2, and rde
> version 0.9.9.0 with 0.9.9.1 patches. The install.rb didn't work, so I had
> to do it manually. Now I am getting a "mswin32-ruby16.dll" was not found
> error. (Did they hard code the ruby version into the rde code?)
> Any suggestions?

Wayne Vucenic

The "no such file to load -- debug2" error can be solved by copying the 3
files debug2.rb, rde_extend.rb, and rde.dll from the RDE distribution
to your <wherever Ruby is installed>/lib/ruby/1.8 directory.

I don't know if the RDE debugger has been updated to work with Ruby
1.8, which I think is the cause of the mswin32-ruby16.dll problems.
For debugging with 1.8 on Windows I use ArachnoRuby:
http://www.ruby-ide.com/arachn...

Wayne Vucenic
No Bugs Software
"Ruby and C++ Contract Programming in Silicon Valley"

Nope, go to tool ->> options and set the ruby
Nope, go to tool ->> path. Does ruby normally work?
rt> I do get
rt> "C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file to load -- debug2 (LoadError)
rt> Completed(1)"
rt> When i hit the play button but the F5 button works :)
rt> Becker

rt> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:59:22 +0900, soxinbox <faker@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to get RDE working with windows XP. I have ruby 1.8.2, and rde
>> version 0.9.9.0 with 0.9.9.1 patches. The install.rb didn't work, so I had
>> to do it manually. Now I am getting a "mswin32-ruby16.dll" was not found
>> error. (Did they hard code the ruby version into the rde code?)
>> Any suggestions?

soxinbox

I did the copy, but it only gets you to the dll problem. I tried free ride,
and had an annoying scroll problem, and didn't like the slow user response.
I think it will be great once they get a few more things worked out.
I then tried RDE with the above problems, Once again, looks real good if
they could just get a few things worked out.
I could try arachnoRuby, but it is sort of against the grain to pay $50 for
an editor to use a language when the writers of the language donated tens or
hundreds of thousands of man hours to make the language free.
Is it worth the $50?

"Wayne Vucenic" <wvucenic@netgate.net> wrote in message
> The "no such file to load -- debug2" error can be solved by copying the 3
> files debug2.rb, rde_extend.rb, and rde.dll from the RDE distribution
> to your <wherever Ruby is installed>/lib/ruby/1.8 directory.
>
> I don't know if the RDE debugger has been updated to work with Ruby
> 1.8, which I think is the cause of the mswin32-ruby16.dll problems.
> For debugging with 1.8 on Windows I use ArachnoRuby:
> http://www.ruby-ide.com/arachn...
>
> Wayne Vucenic
> No Bugs Software
> "Ruby and C++ Contract Programming in Silicon Valley"
>

> Monday, October 18, 2004, 8:26:18 PM, you wrote:
>
> Nope, go to tool ->> options and set the ruby
> Nope, go to tool ->> path. Does ruby normally work?
> rt> I do get
> rt> "C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file to load -- debug2 (LoadError)
> rt> Completed(1)"
> rt> When i hit the play button but the F5 button works :)
> rt> Becker
>

> rt> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:59:22 +0900, soxinbox <faker@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I am trying to get RDE working with windows XP. I have ruby 1.8.2, and
>>> rde
>>> version 0.9.9.0 with 0.9.9.1 patches. The install.rb didn't work, so I
>>> had
>>> to do it manually. Now I am getting a "mswin32-ruby16.dll" was not found
>>> error. (Did they hard code the ruby version into the rde code?)
>>> Any suggestions?

RubyTalk@gmail.com

How did you install ruby? Did you use the all in one exe installer?
You are the admin of the computer? (just checking, other then an input
and out put problem I think that it is a really nice program)
Becker

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:34:19 +0900, soxinbox <faker@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I did the copy, but it only gets you to the dll problem. I tried free ride,
> and had an annoying scroll problem, and didn't like the slow user response.
> I think it will be great once they get a few more things worked out.
> I then tried RDE with the above problems, Once again, looks real good if
> they could just get a few things worked out.
> I could try arachnoRuby, but it is sort of against the grain to pay $50 for
> an editor to use a language when the writers of the language donated tens or
> hundreds of thousands of man hours to make the language free.
> Is it worth the $50?
>
> "Wayne Vucenic" <wvucenic@netgate.net> wrote in message
>

> > The "no such file to load -- debug2" error can be solved by copying the 3
> > files debug2.rb, rde_extend.rb, and rde.dll from the RDE distribution
> > to your <wherever Ruby is installed>/lib/ruby/1.8 directory.
> >
> > I don't know if the RDE debugger has been updated to work with Ruby
> > 1.8, which I think is the cause of the mswin32-ruby16.dll problems.
> > For debugging with 1.8 on Windows I use ArachnoRuby:
> > http://www.ruby-ide.com/arachn...
> >
> > Wayne Vucenic
> > No Bugs Software
> > "Ruby and C++ Contract Programming in Silicon Valley"
> >

> > Monday, October 18, 2004, 8:26:18 PM, you wrote:
> >
> > Nope, go to tool ->> options and set the ruby
> > Nope, go to tool ->> path. Does ruby normally work?
> > rt> I do get
> > rt> "C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file to load -- debug2 (LoadError)
> > rt> Completed(1)"
> > rt> When i hit the play button but the F5 button works :)
> > rt> Becker

soxinbox

I used the all in one installer. ruby works fine, and so does debug.rb. I
think Wayne Vucenic sumed it up, RDE just needs to be updated, or needs
ruby 1.6 to work.

ruby talk <rubytalk@gmail.com> wrote in

> How did you install ruby? Did you use the all in one exe installer?
> You are the admin of the computer? (just checking, other then an input
> and out put problem I think that it is a really nice program)
> Becker
>

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:34:19 +0900, soxinbox <faker@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I did the copy, but it only gets you to the dll problem. I tried free
>> ride, and had an annoying scroll problem, and didn't like the slow
>> user response. I think it will be great once they get a few more
>> things worked out. I then tried RDE with the above problems, Once
>> again, looks real good if they could just get a few things worked
>> out. I could try arachnoRuby, but it is sort of against the grain to
>> pay $50 for an editor to use a language when the writers of the
>> language donated tens or hundreds of thousands of man hours to make
>> the language free. Is it worth the $50?
>>
>> "Wayne Vucenic" <wvucenic@netgate.net> wrote in message
>>

>> > The "no such file to load -- debug2" error can be solved by copying
>> > the 3 files debug2.rb, rde_extend.rb, and rde.dll from the RDE
>> > distribution to your <wherever Ruby is installed>/lib/ruby/1.8
>> > directory.
>> >
>> > I don't know if the RDE debugger has been updated to work with Ruby
>> > 1.8, which I think is the cause of the mswin32-ruby16.dll problems.
>> > For debugging with 1.8 on Windows I use ArachnoRuby:
>> > http://www.ruby-ide.com/arachn...
>> >
>> > Wayne Vucenic
>> > No Bugs Software
>> > "Ruby and C++ Contract Programming in Silicon Valley"
>> >

>> > Monday, October 18, 2004, 8:26:18 PM, you wrote:
>> >
>> > Nope, go to tool ->> options and set the ruby
>> > Nope, go to tool ->> path. Does ruby normally work?
>> > rt> I do get
>> > rt> "C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file to load -- debug2
>> > (LoadError) rt> Completed(1)"
>> > rt> When i hit the play button but the F5 button works :)
>> > rt> Becker
>> >

>> > rt> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:59:22 +0900, soxinbox <faker@yahoo.com>

Wayne Vucenic

> I could try arachnoRuby...Is it worth the $50?

I'm lucky enough to get paid to write Ruby, so since ArachnoRuby makes me
much more productive, it's well worth it to me.

I especially like the debugger in ArachnoRuby. When I've tried debugging in
other Ruby environments, it seems to slow script execution by a factor of 10
or more. (That's just a subjective number, I didn't benchmark it, but it
_feels_ like a factor of 10.) If I'm debugging a Ruby script that runs
(outside the debugger) for 30 minutes before getting an error, the slowness of
the other debuggers makes it extremely tedious to run this script in the
debugger. In contrast, the ArachnoRuby debugger is a lot faster, so I haven't
had this problem with it.

But, since ArachnoRuby is currently free because it's in beta, why not try it
out for yourself, and see if it would be worth $59 to you?

Wayne

gabriele renzi

wvucenic@netgate.net ha scritto:
>>I could try arachnoRuby...Is it worth the $50?
>

> I'm lucky enough to get paid to write Ruby, so since ArachnoRuby makes me
> much more productive, it's well worth it to me.
>
> I especially like the debugger in ArachnoRuby. When I've tried debugging in
> other Ruby environments, it seems to slow script execution by a factor of 10
> or more. (That's just a subjective number, I didn't benchmark it, but it
> _feels_ like a factor of 10.) If I'm debugging a Ruby script that runs
> (outside the debugger) for 30 minutes before getting an error, the slowness of
> the other debuggers makes it extremely tedious to run this script in the
> debugger. In contrast, the ArachnoRuby debugger is a lot faster, so I haven't
> had this problem with it.

IIRC the arachnoruby ide brings a debugger wich is tightly integrated
with ruby to be fast (actually I remember that there was a patch to the
interpreter available on the site ), and this one of the points Lothar
Scholz often highlighted.