[ANN] dev-utils v1.0.1

Gavin Sinclair

10/12/2004 3:09:00 PM

Hi folks,

This is a very minor update on dev-utils v1.0, released last week.
There are a couple of documentation updates, but the only important
difference is a tarball for installation.

http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/1678/dev-utils...

Cheers,
Gavin

================

About dev-utils:

With dev-utils/debug you can:

* Escape to an IRB session from a running program.

breakpoint
breakpoint 'Person#name' # Identify it when it happens.
breakpoint { @name } # Default return value.

* Access a no-config logfile for debugging.

debug 'Database connection established' # Look in ./debug.log

* Trace expressions in that logfile.

trace 'x + y'
trace 'Process.pid'
trace 'names', :pp # Pretty-print.
trace 'page_structure', :yaml # YAML representation.

Home page: http://dev-utils.rub...
Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects...
Download: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
API Documentation: http://dev-utils.rub.../api

13 Answers

Bill Atkins

Is it possible to have breakpoint open the IRB session within a
particular object?

require 'dev-utils/debug'

a = [1, 2, 3]
breakpoint a
>>self.class
Array

Bill

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:09:14 +0900, Gavin Sinclair
<gsinclair@soyabean.com.au> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This is a very minor update on dev-utils v1.0, released last week.
> There are a couple of documentation updates, but the only important
> difference is a tarball for installation.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/1678/dev-utils...
>
> Cheers,
> Gavin
>
> ================
>
> About dev-utils:
>
> With dev-utils/debug you can:
>
> * Escape to an IRB session from a running program.
>
> breakpoint
> breakpoint 'Person#name' # Identify it when it happens.
> breakpoint { @name } # Default return value.
>
> * Access a no-config logfile for debugging.
>
> debug 'Database connection established' # Look in ./debug.log
>
> * Trace expressions in that logfile.
>
> trace 'x + y'
> trace 'Process.pid'
> trace 'names', :pp # Pretty-print.
> trace 'page_structure', :yaml # YAML representation.
>
> Home page: http://dev-utils.rub...
> Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects...
> Download: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
> API Documentation: http://dev-utils.rub.../api

George Moschovitis

I tried to use the gem and got the following error,
any idea?

[root@sith]# gem install dev-utils
Attempting local installation of 'dev-utils'
Local gem file not found: dev-utils.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'dev-utils'
Install required dependency extensions? [Yn] y
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::FormatException)
Error reading files from gem

regards,
George Moschovitis

--
www.navel.gr
Navel does not accept liability for any errors, viruses or omissions in

Chad Fowler

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:24:37 +0900, George Moschovitis <gm@navel.gr> wrote:
> I tried to use the gem and got the following error,
> any idea?
>
> [root@sith]# gem install dev-utils
> Attempting local installation of 'dev-utils'
> Local gem file not found: dev-utils.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'dev-utils'
> Install required dependency extensions? [Yn] y
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::FormatException)
> Error reading files from gem

Hi George. It looks like you're runnning Rubygems < 0.8.0. Is that
right? If so, you need to upgrade to 0.8.1 to use newly released
gems:

$ gem install rubygems-update
$ update_rubygems

Thanks,
Chad

George Moschovitis

> Hi George. It looks like you're runnning Rubygems < 0.8.0. Is that
> right?

You are of course right :) Thank you for your help and the nice lib!

regards,
George

--

On Wednesday, October 13, 2004, 2:41:04 AM, Bill wrote:

> Is it possible to have breakpoint open the IRB session within a
> particular object?

> require 'dev-utils/debug'

> a = [1, 2, 3]
> breakpoint a
>>>self.class
> Array

Not at the moment, but it's very easy to implement. Is that something
you want?

Gavin

Bill Atkins

I think so. :)

Bill

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:40:05 +0900, Gavin Sinclair
<gsinclair@soyabean.com.au> wrote:
> Not at the moment, but it's very easy to implement. Is that something
> you want?

Charles Comstock

> * Access a no-config logfile for debugging.
>
> debug 'Database connection established' # Look in ./debug.log
>
> * Trace expressions in that logfile.
>
> trace 'x + y'
> trace 'Process.pid'
> trace 'names', :pp # Pretty-print.
> trace 'page_structure', :yaml # YAML representation.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but even though there is no
need for default configuration, it would be nice if there was a way to
change the debug log if necessary. For instance if your running two
different ruby scripts in the same directory that both use debug.log is
there a way to specify a different log name for each one? No
configuration necessary by default is great but there are cases it
becomes necessary.
Charles Comstock

George Moschovitis

George Moschovitis wrote:

>> Hi George. It looks like you're runnning Rubygems < 0.8.0. Is that
>> right?
>

> You are of course right :) Thank you for your help and the nice lib!
>
> regards,
> George

Btw It would be nice if the error was more helpful, ie something like:

This gem was packaged by another version

or something...

-g.

--
www.navel.gr | tel: +30 2106898050 | fax: +30 2106898437

Navel does not accept liability for any errors, viruses or omissions in
the contents of this message. The full corporate policy is available on
our site.

have fun: www.joy.gr

Gavin Sinclair

On Wednesday, October 13, 2004, 3:49:35 PM, Charles wrote:

>> * Access a no-config logfile for debugging.
>>
>> debug 'Database connection established' # Look in ./debug.log
>>
>> * Trace expressions in that logfile.
>>
>> trace 'x + y'
>> trace 'Process.pid'
>> trace 'names', :pp # Pretty-print.
>> trace 'page_structure', :yaml # YAML representation.
>>

> I don't know if this was mentioned before, but even though there is no
> need for default configuration, it would be nice if there was a way to
> change the debug log if necessary. For instance if your running two
> different ruby scripts in the same directory that both use debug.log is
> there a way to specify a different log name for each one? No
> configuration necessary by default is great but there are cases it
> becomes necessary.

It's planned. The fact that someone actually wants it (for personal
use, I couldn't care less) will hurry it up :)

Gavin

gabriele renzi

George Moschovitis ha scritto:

> Btw It would be nice if the error was more helpful, ie something like:
>
> This gem was packaged by another version
>
> or something...

I think that dtermining a version mismatch from this error would be
quite hard...
But it could be useful if when getting remote gems the rubygems
application checked that it version was the latest one.