[ANN] Copland 1.0

Jamis Buck

10/12/2004 2:49:00 AM

Well, I finally decided that Copland is ready for the Big Time. It's at
a rosy 1.0 now, and I've officially designated it "stable".

(That naturally doesn't mean it is bug free or perfect, it just means
that future releases will follow a more traditional versioning scheme.)

project page: http://rubyforge.org/projec...
user manual: http://copland.rub...
api docs: http://copland.rub.../api
package docs: http://copland.rub.../packrat

This release features the following asterisk-like bullet points:

* Cycles in dependencies are now reported legibly when they result in
errors.

* Substitution symbols in configuration points work correctly now.

* Public/private visibility for service points (for restricting service
visibility outside of a package)

* Customizable log message formats, similar to those offered by Log4j

* Added more practical intro to Copland in the manual.

* Added RubyConf 2004 presentation.

Comments, as always, are welcome. I should mention that most of the
comments I recieved about Copland during RubyConf have _not_ been
implemented; I am choosing instead to focus on Needle ("The DI Container
Formerly Known as Syringe"), which will be a much more Rubyish interface.

Further enhancements of Copland are pending sufficient interesting from
the community--otherwise, all future efforts will focus on Needle.

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3@email.byu.edu

5 Answers

David Heinemeier Hansson

> Well, I finally decided that Copland is ready for the Big Time. It's
> at a rosy 1.0 now, and I've officially designated it "stable".

Congratulations, Jamis! Your dedication to well-documented and timely
released software is as always a huge inspiration. I hope to be able to
follow in your footsteps shortly and bless components of the Rails
family 1.0 in a not-too-distant future.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.rubyon... -- Web-application framework for Ruby

Mauricio Fernández

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 11:48:58AM +0900, Jamis Buck wrote:
> Well, I finally decided that Copland is ready for the Big Time. It's at
> a rosy 1.0 now, and I've officially designated it "stable".
[...]
> Comments, as always, are welcome. I should mention that most of the
> comments I recieved about Copland during RubyConf have _not_ been
> implemented; I am choosing instead to focus on Needle ("The DI Container
> Formerly Known as Syringe"), which will be a much more Rubyish interface.

Thanks a lot Jamis! Looking forward to Needle (will have to rename the
code in the repository though :).

batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rpa/ports$ rpa show copland
Port: copland
Classification: Top.Library.Development
Available-Version: 1.0.0-1
Installed-Version: 1.0.0-1
RPA-Version: 0.0
Updated: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:55:51 +0200
Source-URL: http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/ports/copland_1...
Copland is an Inversion of Control (IoC) container for Ruby.
.
Copland is an Inversion of Control (IoC) container for Ruby, in the vein
of Hivemind, Spring, and PicoContainer (in the Java universe). Copland
borrows concepts, terms, and some architectural ideas from the Hivemind
project, with one major difference being that Copland uses YAML for its
module descriptor format, instead of XML.

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

vruz

> Well, I finally decided that Copland is ready for the Big Time. It's at
> a rosy 1.0 now, and I've officially designated it "stable".

Great work Jamis !

All good stuff.. SQLite-Ruby, Net:SSH and now Copland turns 1.0
I'll be having a deeper look at it (and looking forward to Needle)

congratz

--
--- vruz

vruz

> batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rpa/ports$ rpa show copland
> Port: copland
> Classification: Top.Library.Development
> Available-Version: 1.0.0-1
> Installed-Version: 1.0.0-1
> RPA-Version: 0.0
> Updated: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:55:51 +0200

and thanks Mauricio for the RPA port
(that was really quick !)

(I take it the other minor copland-related dependent packages still
work for Copland 1.0, right ?)

best,
vruz

Jamis Buck

vruz wrote:
>>batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rpa/ports$ rpa show copland
>>Port: copland
>>Classification: Top.Library.Development
>>Available-Version: 1.0.0-1
>>Installed-Version: 1.0.0-1
>>RPA-Version: 0.0
>>Updated: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:55:51 +0200
>

> and thanks Mauricio for the RPA port
> (that was really quick !)
>
> (I take it the other minor copland-related dependent packages still
> work for Copland 1.0, right ?)

Yup. Though, now that you mention it, I think there may be a few minor
changes in the CVS versions of those packages... I'll see about
packaging them up for a new release as well.

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3@email.byu.edu