postgresql compilation problem

Ara.T.Howard

Dick Davies

* Ara.T.Howard <Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov> [1024 19:24]:

> am i doing something stupid here?
>
> ~/ruby-postgres-0.7.1 > ruby extconf.rb --with-pgsql-lib-dir=/usr/lib/
> checking for cygwin32_socket() in -lwsock32... no
> checking for socket() in -lsocket... no
> checking for gethostbyname() in -linet... no
> checking for gethostbyname() in -lnsl... yes
> checking for sys/un.h... yes
> checking for socket()... yes
> checking for hsterror()... no
> checking for gethostname()... yes
> Using PostgreSQL lib directory: /usr/lib/
> checking for PQsetdbLogin() in -lpq... no
> Could not find PostgreSQL libraries: Makefile not created
>
> ~/ruby-postgres-0.7.1 > strings /usr/lib/libpq.so.3 | grep PQsetdbLogin
> PQsetdbLogin

Just a guess, but is there a /usr/lib/libpq.so there (symlinked to
the above )? If not, try making one.

--
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a
house of cards... Checkmate! - Zapp. Brannigan

Ara.T.Howard

Jaypee

Ara.T.Howard wrote:

> am i doing something stupid here?

I don't think you did anything wrong. I had the same problem and the
following solution worked for me:
Edit extconf.rb and set the CLAGS and LDFLAGS as this blog indicates
<http://blog.humlab.umu.se/samuel/archives/00001...
Jean-pierre
--
(reverse my email, il will work better)

Dick Davies

* Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov <Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov> [1014 23:14]:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Dick Davies wrote:
>
> >Just a guess, but is there a /usr/lib/libpq.so there (symlinked to the
> >above
> >)? If not, try making one.
>
> that was it alright. i was staring right at that and didn't see it - odd
> that
> the default system install would be like that eh?

Depends on the system :)

If it's a Linux you often need to run ldconfig to redo the links after
installing new software...

--
I never meant to hurt you. Just destroy everything you ever believed in. - Bender

Ara.T.Howard