Re: Ruby VM Projects

Abe Vionas_MailingList

10/10/2004 2:57:00 AM

>?If I understand correctly, what y'all are saying is that a new VM
>?is intended to increase the speed of Ruby, yes? Am I understanding
>?the motivation behind a different VM? I read some stuff about
>?broader API access (Perl, Java, etc) but correct me if I'm wrong
>?but doesn't C/C++ have just about everything anyone could ever ask
>?for? What would API access to additional languages add that
>?couldn't be created in the same way people have been coding for
>?Ruby to use C in the background. I'm a newb obviously, so I could
>?be completely f'ing this up... in other words I might have
>?completely misunderstood the issues, but I'd like to know one way
>?or another....
>
>?Regards, Abe
>
>>?Mark Wassell ha scritto:
>>
>>>?There are a number of RubyVM machine projects some just
>>>?starting, ?some 'almost' there, some very active and some
>>>?dormant. See ?
>>>?http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VirtualMach...
>>>
>>>?I am wondering if this is one area of Ruby that requires some ?
>>>?form of coordination. I appreciate that this isn't the way that
>>>??Ruby projects are handled in general but perhaps this can be
>>>?an ?exception, at least until we get one VM project through the
>>>?gate.
>>>
>>>?Just a thought.
>>>

>>?some points to think about:
>>?- some things on that page are hust suggestions so the list gets ?
>>?smaller - some are old things already abandonware ?- some things
>>?are actually shared (i.e. I guess they're not ?rewriting the
>>?parser by themselve)
>>?- maybe there is interaction :) At least you can find koichi
>>?sasada ?from yarv and alexander kellet from rubydium on #ruby-
>>?lang ;) (and ?I think some other )
>>
>>?anyway, if there was a comp.lang.ruby.raving.about.new.vms with
>>?all ?those hackers I'd love to subscribe :)

1 Answer

gabriele renzi

Abe Vionas ha scritto:

> If I understand correctly, what y'all are saying is that a new VM
> is intended to increase the speed of Ruby, yes? Am I understanding
> the motivation behind a different VM?

I'd say 'not only'. As an example, YARV would allow compilation of ruby
to c code so that people could get slightly obfuscated libraries, a
thing that is often asked. Or they could provide native OS threading.
But in general I guess is mostly a matter of performance :)

> I read some stuff about
> broader API access (Perl, Java, etc) but correct me if I'm wrong
> but doesn't C/C++ have just about everything anyone could ever ask
> for? What would API access to additional languages add that
> couldn't be created in the same way people have been coding for
> Ruby to use C in the background. I'm a newb obviously, so I could
> be completely f'ing this up... in other words I might have
> completely misunderstood the issues, but I'd like to know one way
> or another....

Well, each different project has different aims.
Say, the Cardinal guys are writing a ruby2parrot compiler because it
will allow you to use every perl module out there and there are /lots/
(not only this reason but even this).
JRuby allows you to use ruby in places where you could not use C
libraries (i.e. I'm not aware of any C/C++ application server :)

there are just a bunch of different reasons :)